The story behind user names?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey all,

I think after so many hours and so many posts on this wonderful forum it is time to stop going by my fake name and be recognized by my God-given one.

I posted as Unworthy1 for it was/is very fitting and sums up my life in all aspects. I am the unworthy1 as I stand before God in His holy house and as I stand before my brethren. This was the reason I chose this user name.

I remain as the unworthy1 but have changed my user name to be accountable for the things I write.

I am interested in the reasoning behind your own user names. PLEASE SHARE  :)

Also, it would be nice if people went by their real names too. . .just a thought  ;)

Comments

• Agreed wholeheartedly, because sadly, it's much easier to be rude to "Unworthy1" as "Christian15" than be rude to Andrew as Michael Boutros.
  • I agreeee too,

Mary
  • i recently changed mine usernam from minagir to minatasgeel.....which actually identify me more to people i know around where i live.
  • Why Mina? Because you sound like a scratched "record" (= tasgeel)? hehe... only joking.
    Guys, I thought you know already from Mina's and TITL's posts, and those who sent me e-mails. My name is Fady. I like ophadece though, and I will keep it... I have been PMed many times about its meaning. Basically it is a pharaonic-sounding nickname with "Fady" as its root. Why is that? Because we went to Luxor and Aswan with the college family, and I came up with pharaonic-sounding nicknames for all my grade colleagues. Hope that helps... hehe...
    PS: I like the name, because my wife used it when we were engaged (and still does, although I don't hear her anymore).. hehe
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12491.msg146386#msg146386 date=1319279619]
    Why Mina? Because you sound like a scratched "record" (= tasgeel)? hehe... only joking.

hehe.....well it is a "record" but necessarily scratched. it's also my nickname really. it's stuck now and i can't change it.......
  • Remnkemi is pretty straight forward. It is Coptic and it means Coptic. I want to be called a Copt in Coptic. It's a very simple way to identify myself as Coptic who loves Coptic. I usually sign my posts at the end as George. But I stopped doing it recently because (in the words of Forest Gump)..."for no particular reason."
  • Many, many, MANY people keep asking me, so hopefully posting this will answer any further questions:

Trust In The Lord.

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=12491.msg146386#msg146386 date=1319279619]
    Why Mina? Because you sound like a scratched "record" (= tasgeel)? hehe... only joking.
    Guys, I thought you know already from Mina's and TITL's posts, and those who sent me e-mails. My name is Fady.
    Oujai qen `P[C

It's Uncle Fady for you kids under 25 yrs.
  • Actually what I want to know is the story behind people who are "invisible" on this site!!!  >:(

Maybe I should create another poll (next to my Shoutbox one... ahem...) for Admins to remove that option on this forum.
  • My user name, "Severian", means "follower of Severus". It is because I greatly admire St. Severus and his staunch defense of Orthodoxy amidst the Theodorean/Chalcedonian, Eutychian, and Nestorian heresies.

I prefer not to reveal my real name.
  • Dear Remnkemi,
    Shall I say congratulations? I can see that you are developing a soft spot for the authentic Coptic, and so you changed Remenkimi to Remnkemi. I hope I am not deluded though, am I? Hehe
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • Interesting stories all around!
  • Mine is my name. lol. Although ironically, it's not what I actually go by. George and Mina were intended to be first names (in the form of "George-Mina") but it turns out they made a mistake on my birth certificate, and so I have two middle names (Mina and Ghali, my dad's name). So most call me Jimmy, which my mother came up with as a combination of "George" and "Mina."
  • Because:  I Love Saint Mark.
  • I am used to my real name (Jeremy) being taken whenever I sign up on any website and I didn't think ahead about how that's not an Egyptian name so no one here would have taken it. So I kept doing it when I signed up here, using a transliteration of the Russian spelling of it (Джереми).

The shocking, hidden story is that I'm dumb, I guess.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12491.msg146408#msg146408 date=1319299334]
    Dear Remnkemi,
    Shall I say congratulations? I can see that you are developing a soft spot for the authentic Coptic, and so you changed Remenkimi to Remnkemi. I hope I am not deluded though, am I? Hehe
    Oujai qen `P[C

Ophadece,
    People bring this up all the time to me. I am not the owner or website administrator of the remenkimi.com. I never changed my name because it was never remenkimi. And the difference between remenkimi and remnkemi does not say anything about "authentic" Coptic, just Coptic transliteration. But that's a different issue...So you're partially deluded. (Don't forget, you asked.)
  • I guess I just have to agree.. I'm confused and deluded.. hehe
    Oujai
  • Superman is what they used to call me when i boxed, and then B.A.M. are my initials
  • [quote author=✞SuperMAN✞(BAM)✞ link=topic=12491.msg146477#msg146477 date=1319421218]
    Superman is what they used to call me when i boxed, and then B.A.M. are my initials

Wow! What competitive level were you boxing at?
  • people tell me i am always smiling in church
    ;)
    so 'mabsoota' is 'happy' in arabic.

i have already revealed far too much about my personal life and that of my Godparents and close friends to ever tell you my real name!
    also it could give me trouble in my job, as 'trying to convert' people and being political would affect my future employment chances.
    i do share my faith at work often, though, but i am just careful what i write publicly.
  • Isn't that a sad comment on modern life... (the job part, not the being happy in church part)

We cannot even share our faith without risking our livelihoods. God have mercy on us.
  • Agreed completely dzheremi
    Oujai
  • i don't mind risking my livelihood, i just don't intend to do it online!
    ;)
    i know what u mean though, jeremy. i think if we make friends with our colleagues and then show them we are sensitive and listen to their point of view, we should be clear in stating our beliefs and showing them how great it is to be close to God.
    also u r v cool, not dumb at all
    8)

on a separate note, i have met ophadece (it's my claim to fame!) and he is certainly not old enough for anyone to call him 'uncle fady'!
    i strongly suspect i am older than him...
  • Which is why I call you Tunt!

Usually the rule is: if you're married or are my dad's age, you get the privileged of having tunt/uncle in front of your name.

Uncle Fady is married ;)
  • What do I get to be? I'm quite a bit older than you, but not married. Am I some sort of weird outcast cousin? Y'know, since getting married is so important in Egyptian culture...there must be at least one in every family who didn't get married within acceptable time...and the rest of the family is worried...

What's "black sheep" in Arabic? Al-kheraf al-sawda'?  ;D
  • How about Anba Dzheremi?  ;)
  • Hahaha. You're determined to make me Anba something, aren't you?  :)
  • BLack sheep is not literally translated in Arabic, but nearly to "el batta el soda".. don't usually use the plural though
    Oujai
  • Haha. That wasn't really a serious question, but thanks Ophadece. You've taught me something new today. I appreciate that. :)
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12491.msg146541#msg146541 date=1319487992]
    BLack sheep is not literally translated in Arabic, but nearly to "el batta el soda".. don't usually use the plural though
    Oujai

hmmm "batta" is a duck and not sheep.....
    black sheep would be "el-kheraf el-sood" with out consider the tashkeel for the send word.
  • I would have said "el kharoof el eswed".

But then again, I only speak American.  :P