Prayers for Egypt

edited December 1969 in Prayer Requests
Please pray for those in Egypt. Things are very messy right now and many have died at the hands of the military within the last 24 hours.

Comments

• The pictures and videos that are coming in are horrific. Egypt needs prayers more than ever.
  • Here is a good first-person account.
  • 9o% of the Muslim Egyptians have Christian roots (Copts). Let's pray for them that they may return to their forefathers' faith.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12448.msg145860#msg145860 date=1318224313]
    9o% of the Muslim Egyptians have Christian roots (Copts). Let's pray for them that they may return to their forefathers' faith.

What do you mean? The majority intermarried or converted?
  • They didn't come with the Arab invaders, but were indigenous Egyptians who converted over time to Islam.

George Mina Awad: Can you summarize what the woman in the video is saying, please? My Arabic is nowhere near as good as it would need to be to follow all of that...  :-[
  • I also heard that Abouna Metias Nasr is now missing, and Abouna Philopatir has been abducted.

May the Lord strengthen His people through this difficult time.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=12448.msg145861#msg145861 date=1318225924]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12448.msg145860#msg145860 date=1318224313]
    9o% of the Muslim Egyptians have Christian roots (Copts). Let's pray for them that they may return to their forefathers' faith.

What do you mean? The majority intermarried or converted?

Most of the Muslims are converted Copts either their parents could not pay the "jezya", they were abducted while they were children, or sold by their parents, or their parents converted for fear of torture. Of course this has been happening for the last 1400 years.

There are horrible stories in the Coptic history showing how Copts started accepting the new religion and the new tongue of the Mohammadans.

So, let's pray that the Lord may show these Muslims the True Way.
  • The Martyrs of the 21st century

A very disturbing video of the events in Egypt (Kids should not watch this)

• +++
    "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance."

Romans 5: 3

May God Be With You All!
    We Will Pray For You!
  • ya Rab urham,
    :'(
    may God have mercy and keep us from the temptation to return evil for evil.
  • The Holy Synod is asking all Copts around the world to dedicate the next three days to fasting starting tomorrow
  • This link is going around Facebook. It is a petition that will be sent to Congress and it allows you to send letters to the President, your state's senators and your district's Congressman. Please sign and send for every member of your household: http://www.petition2congress.com/5297/us-funded-egyptian-military-kills-civilians/

and of course, keep praying.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Lord, have mercy on Your children in Egypt.

How long, O Lord? Will You forget me to the end? How long will You turn Your face form me? How long will I take counsel in my soul, having grief in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me? - Ps. 13

How long, O Lord, shall I cry out to You, and You will not hear me? Being wronged I cry out to You; You will not save. Why have You shown me hardship and suffering, to look upon misery and ungodliness? Judgment is before me, and the judge takes bribes. Therefore the law is disregarded and justice is done ineffectually, fo rthe ungodly oppress the righteous; therefore justice shall go forther perverted. -Hab. 1:2
  • Yet the Lord declares, “Thou it tarry, wait for it” (Hab. 2:3)
  • It has now become four days fasting, since the start will be tomorrow.

If you are living in the United States, just realize because you have a jackass for a President, and a Muslim, your tax dollars are helping to pay for the persecution of your families in Egypt.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12448.msg145883#msg145883 date=1318285878]
    If you are living in the United States, just realize because you have a jackass for a President, and a Muslim, your tax dollars are helping to pay for the persecution of your families in Egypt.

Ever hear of a minor concept called slander?
  • + I shall venture to say in all reverence that God has spoken to His children through His Church.

Beginning of the four day fast:
    Tuesday October 11, 2011, 30th of Thoout 1728, Church Readings
    ..a constant theme of persecution, hope and victory.

Vespers: "..His enemies I will clothe with shame, But upon Himself His crown shall flourish." - Psalm 131:9,10,17,18
    "..Blessed are those who are persceuted for righteousness sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 4:23-5:16

Matins: "The Lord is at Your right hand; He shall execute kings in the day of His wrath. He shall judge among the nations, He shall fill the places with dead bodies, He shall execute the heads of many countries." - Psalms 109:5,6,8
    "...Blessed are you who weep now, For you shall laugh. Blessed are you when men hate you, And when they exclude you, And revile you, and cast out your name as evil, For the Son of Mans sake. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy! For indeed your reward is great in heaven, For in like manner their fathers did to the prophets." - Luke 6:17-23

Pauline Epistle: "..persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived."
    "..But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing." - 2 Timothy 3:10-4:22

Catholic Epistle: "..Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you." - 1 Peter 5:1-14

Acts of the Apostles: "..saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus.." - Acts of the Apostles 20:17-38

The Synaxarium: "..With him, he also sent five hundred horsemen and letters appointing Gawargios patriarch of Alexandria instead of Abba Athanasius the Apostolic. He ordered Gawargios to support the faith of Arius and slay all who would not be obedient to him. When this man arrived in the city, he preached the teachings of Arius but only a very few men of the city accepted his words. Therefore, he killed a large number of people, and St. Athanasius hid himself for a period of six years."

The Gospel: "..The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd." - John 10:1-16
  • Symbol of the Democratic Party:  Jackass.
    One who subscribes to the Democratic Party bears the symbol of the party:  jackass.
    President Obama is a member of the Democratic Party.

Conclusion: ....

It is not slander when it is true.

Our "dear" President when giving his speech in Egypt, equated the French intolerance of the hijab to the persecution of the Coptic Christians.

Conclusion:  Only a jackass would make such a comparison.
  • The American Military Contractors are being paid from the aid money to supply the Egyptians with the tanks and troop transporters that are killing the Christians.

Your tax dollars at work.

Pray also for the inept President and Congress to gain a conscience for helping the destruction of Christianity in the Middle East.

Pray for the President that he renounces his Islam and racism.
    Pray for the Congress to have a backbone and see that blood is more important than oil.

I really am not worried about the Christians that are dying in Egypt.  I am not oblivious to their pain or suffering.  I do not discount any of the aspects of the brutality.

I do feel sorry for the President and the Congress for the day they will have to face the Almighty.  It will not be a pretty sight.  Do they think that the very blood that flows in the streets and the sewers does not cry out to the Creator?

Having read the Inferno by Dante, I cannot help but think that there will be a third person in the mouth of Satan in the last tier.  Guess who?
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

The only fact you got right in your entire inane rant was that the symbol for the Democratic party is a donkey. Everything else you've stated is your own warped opinion. Therefore, what I said still holds: slander.

Let me break it down for you simply:

Opinion:
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12448.msg145883#msg145883 date=1318285878]
    If you are living in the United States, just realize because you have a jackass for a President, and a Muslim
    Slander

Opinion:
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12448.msg145934#msg145934 date=1318332508]
    One who subscribes to the Democratic Party bears the symbol of the party:  jackass.
    Slander

Opinion:
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12448.msg145934#msg145934 date=1318332508]
    Conclusion: ....
    Implied slander

Opinion:
    Conclusion:  Only a jackass would make such a comparison.

Slander

Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, traducement, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image. It is usually a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).[1]

Source
  • Stop this nonsense. Your brothers and sisters have been killed and you are bickering about something nonsensical.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=Aegyptian link=topic=12448.msg145941#msg145941 date=1318346414]
    Stop this nonsense. Your brothers and sisters have been killed and you are bickering about something nonsensical.

It is nonsense, but nonsense that must be addressed, especially since this is a thread entitled 'Prayers for Egypt' and not 'Baseless Slanders'.
  • I pray, God be with you; Christ the Good Shepard come to the defense of His beloved sheep, and that the Holy Spirit comfort you, guide you and teach you all you need to know!!!

• Actually, I have to apologize, as I typed, I did not realize the topic of the thread.
    I would like Cephas to follow me to another for a reply to his remarks.

I agree that my remarks are out of place in this thread.  If I had the ability to move them, I would.

Cephas,

I am taking my remarks to the thread "Who is to blame" in case you want to follow.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12448.msg145869#msg145869 date=1318254992]
    The Holy Synod is asking all Copts around the world to dedicate the next three days to fasting starting tomorrow

Why did HH ask us to fast this time as opposed to all the other times we've been attacked?

The only difference between this time is that we've caused this upon ourselves. We disobeyed him, and now we're being punished.
    We're not innocent this time.

How come HH didn't ask us to fast when Nag Hammadi was attacked? Or the bombing in Alexandria?

How many times, since HH Pope Shenouda became Pope, has the Holy Synod declared a 3 day fast for the entire church? Is this the first time?

I'm not complaining or attacking. I just want to understand.
  • TITL,

There have been three day fasts declared on local levels, eg, during the exile of His Holiness under Sadat.  It was almost (literally) a weekly affair in the United States.  There was no episcopal authority in the United States, and it was mandated by the collective of the meeting of the priestly fathers.

There have been three day fasts declared by the conjoined effort of the episcopal fathers of the Coptic Church in North America these last two years.

I do not have any authoritative recollection of the Pope and the Holy Synod in unison with such a declaration.  Although, in the recess of my mind it may have been two times prior.

• [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12448.msg145970#msg145970 date=1318362908]
    Although, in the recess of my mind it may have been two times prior.

By Holy Synod or local? What were the other times the Holy Synod declared fasts?
  • Clarification:  Episcopal Fathers of the Coptic Church in the USA--Bps Makarios, Serapion, Youssef, David, Michael.

Although they do not constitute a Synodal quorum, they do represent a local will for the sake of the Mother Church and See relative to the previous events of 2010 and 2011.

As I mentioned, I have a recess memory of previous declarations by the Holy Synod, but I do not have authoritative reference.
  • You're not addressing my question.

When has the Holy Synod (not local) declared a 3 day fast during the Papacy of HH Pope Shenouda?