Self esteem vs Humbleness

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
[move] ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???[/move]

This has been bothering me. Does our Church belive in self-esteem. I mean i know self-pride is wrong, but is it wrong to let yourself feel good about yourself, cuz its healthy n stuff. I hope i dont hav 2 explain it more... u guys get it rite? So what r u guys ideas? ??? ??? ???

Comments

• funny... I always think of this... and you are right all need self esteem.
  • i think you can have a little bit of self-esteem.. but if you think about it.. self esteem is sorta like pride..
    the big issue on self-esteem started like a few years ago like when people were telling parents oh you don't want your child to hate themselves! they have to be happy happy happy... lol and now in society everything is always about me me me... so its like turned into a big problem..
    we should try to humble ourselves and i think the definition of humbleness is to think lowly of yourself or something like that...correct me if i'm wrong..
    i am all confused now! :P
    lol
  • we should try to humble ourselves and i think the definition of humbleness is to think lowly of yourself or something like that..

well, humbleness means to know your self... not think lowly of yourself, the church never tells us to think low of ourselves, or think too much of yourself... but be moderate.... when you think high of yourself, compare yourself to Christ, when you think too low of yourself think, and know that you are with Christ.
  • well i don't get whats wronge with being proud of ur self when u get an A on a test..what are u supposed to just act like u don't care..u do care..well how would i know i've never gotten an A lol jk but i think its ok to be proud of ur self but not to go around braging about it...that way ur humble but u stilll feel good about it..um yeah i think
  • Nothing is wrong with being proud that you did well on a test, remember to thank GOd because he helped u write it :) and dont go showing off ur mark, be proud siglently, Jesus tells us to be humble not to tell ourselvs that we suck and that we cant do anything right. he taught us to be humble about the things we have, and to be humble in spirit. and to believe that we can do anything through his name! he did not teach that inorder to be humble you have to put yourslef down! HOpe that makes sense :)

Maria
  • I think many of you are mistaking self esteem for confidence. Self esteem leans more towards pride; however confidence doesn’t. These two words shouldn’t be used interchangeably.
  • There is nothing wrong with feeling good about yourself because you should be ‘content’ with the gifts/ talents God has granted you, nothing more…however, we being born of a sinful nature, tend to place our strengths above our weaknesses to the point where we’re blinded by our 'goodness'. We put ourselves on the pedestal, thinking we’re on top of the world. The problem continues to arise when we become blinded by our ‘goodness’ and we use our gifts for the wrong reasons…we gear towards satisfying our ego.

The Lord never shunned those who believed in themselves...he only scolded those who were narcissists, or rather, hypocrites. Hypocrites are known to be egocentric, or self-centered. They think they are above everyone else because of their God-given talents that they never care to think about others. The Lord could care less of what the Pharisees ate during the fast or what time they woke up early for prayers…you would think he would care since these are ‘good’ attributes…but was the Lord pleased? No! He didn’t care how long they were up praying or how long they fasted, all he cared was that these people were only concerned for the law and themselves and nobody else. In many accounts the Lord rebukes the hypocrites…a great example is when Jesus says, “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.” (Matt 23:25) God loves seeing his children pleased with their individuality, but He will not tolerate those who become self-absorbed. Self absorption gets you worshipping a new idol- URSELF!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On many occasions, those who suffered from pride were not favorable in the eyes of God:

2 Chronicles 26:16 "But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God..."

2 Chronicles 32:26 "Then Hezekiah repented of the pride of his heart, as did the people of Jerusalem; therefore the Lord’s wrath did not come upon them during the days of Hezekiah."

Psalm 10:4 4 "In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God.”

Psalm 31:18 "Let their lying lips be silenced, for with pride and contempt they speak arrogantly against the righteous."

Basically, we can use our God-given talents as a means of reconciling ourselves with God, but we shouldn’t take them for granted. Don’t think that because you’re talented at something or because you’ve been ‘blessed’ with intelligence, fortune, fame, (or anything that can make you proud) that God will make allowances for you…that’s not always the case because most ppl who ruin the privilege of being ‘content with themselves’ only hurt themselves in the end, and they make that their first step towards a having an insubstantial relationship with God. After all, the Bible states, as a general rule of thumb to [glow=red,2,300]“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and LEAN NOT on YOUR OWN understanding.” [/glow]

I hope I helped :-\ …Take care, GB++
  • great reply youstina! ;) :)

as she very nicely said, you can be happy with somthing well-done, but remember to glorify God in the midst of your joy.
    He gave you the talent and the ability, so remember He's the reason for success.

in everything you do, glorify God... cuz He's the your strength, ability, and reason for doing well.

in my opinion, in regards to humility - as mentioned before - compare yourself to Christ and the saints. if you're not at their level of spirituality, you look down on yourself to help and remind you, and realize, that there's alot of room for improvement.
    as well, Christ practiced humilty in everything He did (ex, being born in a manger)... so we should learn from Him.

being humble does not mean to ruin your self-esteem and degrade yourself, it is to be Christ-like.

just my 0.5 cents...

take care and God bless!
  • I believe that self-esteem is when you can hold your head up high in what you believe in, and being humble about it is being able to get your point across without forcing it down peoples' throats.

sleepy
    P.S. That's only my opinion.
  • hey sleepy,

that's a good way of looking at it... never thought of it from that angle...

;D

take care and God bless!