Historical Relations Between the Coptic & Russian Orthodox Churches

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
This letter was written in the nineteenth century from the Russian Church seeking to reunite with the Coptic Orthodox Church:

I laid the foundations for an approximation effusions between the Coptic Church and ours only by confining the Coptic patriarch. On behalf of the truth, I would have said firmly that St. Synod of all the Russias had sent to His Holiness with the good news that the Synod and with him the entire Russian Church does not consider him and bishops and priests under his or her flock, as Monophysite heretics (sic), but recognizes them as brothers in faith and the ceremonies of divine service, despite a small difference in religious rites does not break the unity of faith and charity. Synod of all the Russias had sent to His Holiness with the good news that the Synod and with him the entire Russian Church does not consider him and bishops and priests under his or her flock, as Monophysite heretics (sic), but recognizes them as brothers in faith and the ceremonies of divine service, despite a small difference in religious rites does not break the unity of faith and charity. I would have said in my book on the dogmas and rituals of the Copts, the evening prayer, midnight, morning, every hour, that are common to both, I would have hired all their four liturgies that not differ from ours by their sense and their dogma, I'd have reminded them that are celebrated in the same sacraments and the same rules are observed SS. I would have said in my book on the dogmas and rituals of the Copts, the evening prayer, evening, morning, every hour, that are common to both, I would have hired all their four liturgies that not differ from ours by their sense and their dogma, I'd have reminded them that are celebrated in the Sacraments and the same rules are observed SS. Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils of Nicea and Constantinople, " the same veneration of icons approved by the 7th Ecumenical Council, I would have explained that, like them, we curse the heresy of Nestor and Eutychus, and the the 4th Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon's teaching contained St. Cyril of Alexandria on the personality of the Man-God and I speak in his own words to him [St. Cyril], I would have persuaded him to send a message to our St. Synod and to express that all the Egyptian Church and also profess since ancient times, for their heart and mouth, the Nicene Creed Constantinople and without any addition or alteration, they anathématisent heresy of Nestor and Eutychus and believe that Jesus Christ, the only son of the living God is perfect God and perfect man in which the nature of the Godhead and the nature of humanity Vees are conserved without being con-fused . indivisible, immutable - and finally [I would have advised him] to ask for strong prayers are addressed to God, and [he asked] the protection of the Church and the Russian Empire to Christianity in Egypt dwindling. This message would have crowned my work as a missionary in Egypt. As a messenger of good news, sent by our Synod, I would have requested that the crown of the Coptic Patriarch. As his friend, I would have advised him to come to Jeru salem all our rituals and our catechism [language] Arab and think about sending young Copts in Russia for the study of sacred architecture, the paint [icons] and all kinds of science. " Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils of Nicea and Constantinople, "the same veneration of icons approved by the 7th Ecumenical Council, I would have explained that, like them, we curse the heresy of Nestor and Eutychus, and the the 4th Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon's teaching contained St. Cyril of Alexandria on the personality of the Man-God and I speak in his own words to him [St. Cyril], I would have persuaded him to send a message to our St. Synod and to express that all the Egyptian Church and also profess since ancient times, for their heart and mouth, the Creed ited Constantinople and without any addition or alteration, they anathématisent heresy of Nestor and Eutychus and believe that Jesus Christ, the only son of the living God is perfect God and perfect man in which the nature of the Godhead and the nature of humanity vees are conserved without being con-fused. indivisible, immutable - and finally [I would have advised him] to ask for strong prayers are addressed to God, and [he asked] the protection of the Church and the Russian Empire to Christianity in Egypt dwindling. This message would have crowned my work as a missionary in Egypt. As a messenger of good news, sent by our Synod, I would have requested that the crown of the Coptic Patriarch. As his friend, I would have advised him to come to Jeru salem all our rituals and our catechism [language] Arab and think about sending young Copts in Russia for the study of sacred architecture, the paint [icons] and all kinds of Science. "
http://eocf.free.fr/copte_russe.htm http://eocf.free.fr/copte_russe.htm

The translation was from Google translate so it's not that great.

Discuss!

Comments

• So why didn't we reunite?
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=12193.msg143675#msg143675 date=1314319904]
    This letter was written in the nineteenth century from the Russian Church seeking to reunite with the Coptic Orthodox Church:

I laid the foundations for an approximation effusions between the Coptic Church and ours only by confining the Coptic patriarch. On behalf of the truth, I would have said firmly that St. Synod of all the Russias had sent to His Holiness with the good news that the Synod and with him the entire Russian Church does not consider him and bishops and priests under his or her flock, as Monophysite heretics (sic), but recognizes them as brothers in faith and the ceremonies of divine service, despite a small difference in religious rites does not break the unity of faith and charity. Synod of all the Russias had sent to His Holiness with the good news that the Synod and with him the entire Russian Church does not consider him and bishops and priests under his or her flock, as Monophysite heretics (sic), but recognizes them as brothers in faith and the ceremonies of divine service, despite a small difference in religious rites does not break the unity of faith and charity. I would have said in my book on the dogmas and rituals of the Copts, the evening prayer, midnight, morning, every hour, that are common to both, I would have hired all their four liturgies that not differ from ours by their sense and their dogma, I'd have reminded them that are celebrated in the same sacraments and the same rules are observed SS. I would have said in my book on the dogmas and rituals of the Copts, the evening prayer, evening, morning, every hour, that are common to both, I would have hired all their four liturgies that not differ from ours by their sense and their dogma, I'd have reminded them that are celebrated in the Sacraments and the same rules are observed SS. Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils of Nicea and Constantinople, " the same veneration of icons approved by the 7th Ecumenical Council, I would have explained that, like them, we curse the heresy of Nestor and Eutychus, and the the 4th Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon's teaching contained St. Cyril of Alexandria on the personality of the Man-God and I speak in his own words to him [St. Cyril], I would have persuaded him to send a message to our St. Synod and to express that all the Egyptian Church and also profess since ancient times, for their heart and mouth, the Nicene Creed Constantinople and without any addition or alteration, they anathématisent heresy of Nestor and Eutychus and believe that Jesus Christ, the only son of the living God is perfect God and perfect man in which the nature of the Godhead and the nature of humanity Vees are conserved without being con-fused . indivisible, immutable - and finally [I would have advised him] to ask for strong prayers are addressed to God, and [he asked] the protection of the Church and the Russian Empire to Christianity in Egypt dwindling. This message would have crowned my work as a missionary in Egypt. As a messenger of good news, sent by our Synod, I would have requested that the crown of the Coptic Patriarch. As his friend, I would have advised him to come to Jeru salem all our rituals and our catechism [language] Arab and think about sending young Copts in Russia for the study of sacred architecture, the paint [icons] and all kinds of science. " Apostles and the Ecumenical Councils of Nicea and Constantinople, "the same veneration of icons approved by the 7th Ecumenical Council, I would have explained that, like them, we curse the heresy of Nestor and Eutychus, and the the 4th Ecumenical Council of Chalcedon's teaching contained St. Cyril of Alexandria on the personality of the Man-God and I speak in his own words to him [St. Cyril], I would have persuaded him to send a message to our St. Synod and to express that all the Egyptian Church and also profess since ancient times, for their heart and mouth, the Creed ited Constantinople and without any addition or alteration, they anathématisent heresy of Nestor and Eutychus and believe that Jesus Christ, the only son of the living God is perfect God and perfect man in which the nature of the Godhead and the nature of humanity vees are conserved without being con-fused. indivisible, immutable - and finally [I would have advised him] to ask for strong prayers are addressed to God, and [he asked] the protection of the Church and the Russian Empire to Christianity in Egypt dwindling. This message would have crowned my work as a missionary in Egypt. As a messenger of good news, sent by our Synod, I would have requested that the crown of the Coptic Patriarch. As his friend, I would have advised him to come to Jeru salem all our rituals and our catechism [language] Arab and think about sending young Copts in Russia for the study of sacred architecture, the paint [icons] and all kinds of Science. "
    http://eocf.free.fr/copte_russe.htm http://eocf.free.fr/copte_russe.htm

The translation was from Google translate so it's not that great.

Discuss!

The language is a bit poor and sentences repeat several times, so it's not that clear. . .

Regardless, who authored this?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12193.msg143677#msg143677 date=1314322526]
    So why didn't we reunite?
    Probably because the rest of the EO world would have disliked the idea. I also know that the Orthodox Patriarch in Egypt was also about to unite with the Chalcedonians, but he was murdered before he could sign the edicts. As per unity with the Byzantine-Chalcedonians with our Orthodox Church, I am all for it so long as it is based upon truth. I too believe we share the same substance of the faith, but we shouldn't be so quick to brush our theological differences under the rug. The issues surrounding councils 4-7 will definitely have to be dealt with, and the anathemas of our Teacher Saint Dioscorus the Confessor and the God-bearing Patriarch Abba Severus will have to be lifted on the Chalcedonian side. Likewise, the anathemas of Leo will have to be lifted on the Orthodox side. But there are many, many, many(!) problems surrounding the anathemas of Leo which will be difficult to deal with...

Peace.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=12193.msg143678#msg143678 date=1314323081]
    The language is a bit poor and sentences repeat several times, so it's not that clear. . .

Regardless, who authored this?
    If I'm not mistaken, it was written by Archimandrite Porphyre Ous­pensky. Father Peter will probably know something about this...

Peace and blessings.
  • in the 1990s, the romanian orthodox church started communing with oriental orthodox churches, following the second agreed statement by the patriarchs that we all agreed on orthodoxy.
    but the other eastern orthodox churches told them they had jumped the gun and they had to wait until all the churches had agreed on the terms of inter-communion.