Where did Enoch and Elijah go if the gates of Paradise were closed to everyone?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Where did Enoch and Elijah go if the gates of Paradise were closed to everyone? ???

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

Speculation 1: In Paradise.

Speculation 2: Somewhere here on earth preserved by God until their final revelation to all mankind.

'Official' response: We don't know.
  • Wow. That is a really good question. I never thought of that. Any commentaries by the church fathers?
  • " Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appeared with horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. 12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried out, "My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen!" So he saw him no more."

The events as recorded in the Bible point that Elijah could not have remained here on earth as the chariot went up into heaven. More than likely he went to paradise because the chariot of fire was a recognizable sign from heaven as seen by Elisha, Isaiah and other prophets.

As for how he entered paradise while it was closed. Paradise was closed, as the resting place, to the souls of the righteous. Elijah was still in  flesh and had not died as of yet, so the default place for souls before the cross which was Hades did not apply.

This is just my own opinion.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=12157.msg143537#msg143537 date=1314048539]
    Speculation 2: Somewhere here on earth preserved by God until their final revelation to all mankind.

Sirach 49:14 says that Enoch was taken up from the earth. They probably are in heaven.

If I can add, How did Moses leave Hades to be at the Transfiguration?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12157.msg143546#msg143546 date=1314065289]
    [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=12157.msg143537#msg143537 date=1314048539]

Sirach 49:14 says that Enoch was taken up from the earth. They probably are in heaven.

If I can add, How did Moses leave Hades to be at the Transfiguration?

Moses did not come on his own to mount Tabor. God ordered him. God has the ultimate power on souls even those in Hades. We have other examples of souls who were in Hades and came out like Samuel and Lazarus.
  • In "Bible Characters of Genesis" by Dr Rodolph Yanney, it says that there are currently 3 people in heaven, Elijah, Enoch and Jesus.
  • Here are search results for Enoch among the writings of the Church Fathers: http://www.ccel.org/search/fulltext/title%3A%28ANF%2A%20OR%20NPNF%2A%29%20AND%20Enoch

It has a lot of relevant results. You can replace the term Enoch in the search to whatever you want to look further into it.