Circumcision

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi i am a new member here. I was wondering how our church views cirsumcision.

Comments

• The Orthodox Church doesn’t prohibit circumcision, as long as it is not practised for religious or spiritual reasons. The law was fulfilled in Christ – He consummated it, and brought out the heart of the Law - and it is the heart of the law that continues.

Circumcision is thus understood in a spiritual sense rather than a carnal sense. St Paul tells us, that circumcision is not “merely outward and physical. 29No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code.” (Romans 2:28-29)

St Paul further explains the spiritual definition of circumcision which we as Christians are obliged to practice: Colossians 2:11
    In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ"

It is for this reason Christ told us that the law hangs on the commandment of love: ”For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.” (Galatians 5:6)

As orthodox Christians we know that: "19Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commands is what counts." 1 Corinthians 7
  • welcome to the site ProFutbol!
    hope you'll enjoy it here :)

as far as i know, there's nothing wrong with circumcision.
    infact i believe it's encouraged for health reasons.... somthing about it being safer and healthier for the boy.
    but as Iqbal said, as long as its not for religious practice.
    most coptic boys are circumcized though... again, for health reasons only.

take care and God bless
  • as far as i know its done now for health reasons!

maria
  • whats curcumsicion?
  • a long long long long long long long long long time ago(lol) when a baby is born they'd like cut off a part of his skin(i don't feel comfortable getting into which part) and i think it like shows a sign of the religion which i jewdism i not sure..lol..i'm not sure about alot of things as you've noticed my pattern of sending in posts. ;D

• lol..i'm not sure about alot of things as you've noticed my pattern of sending in posts.

Your not confused are you?....lol... ;D