Avenging the Martyrs

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In Revelations, it says that the martyrs are crying to avenge their blood. I thought that we are supposed to forgive and forget and not seek revenge.

Comments

• The avenge here is seeking justice.

Yes we are to forgive as God forgave us and He is the ultimate judge. The martyrs forgave their persecutes on account of Christ, but they also long for having evil destroyed.

As God is compassionate, He is just and the martyrs are asking Him to execute justice. They are upset that those who persecuted them are continuing their evil. They do not want that evil to keep on going.

"And they cried with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?"

However, God uses that evil and turn it for the good in creating more martyrs:

"it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed. "
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. - Romans 12:19