Religious vs Spiritual

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi everyone,

I've had a topic that's been on my mind recently that I'd love to get your opinion on..

In conversations with several colleagues and friends recently I've found that a lot of people call themselves spiritual but not religious.. i.e they don't follow a particular religion per se but live by the morals and values they say are shared by all religions. In their view, as long as a person lives a good life and is loving and caring to people around them and treats others like they want to be treated then surely God is not unjust enough to condemn them.

This "politically correct" view is so common that even some of my non-church attending Coptic Orthodox friends can see some merit to it. It is also becoming very popular in the media, with people like Oprah among others supporitng some of these new age philosophies. Even Dr. Magdy Yacoub, the famous "Coptic" heart surgeon from the UK follows this same philosophy.

For me as a Coptic Orthodox Christian its simple- I know that there is no Salvation without faith in the blood of Christ and life within the church and its sacraments. Yet how do I get this across to a non-Christian/Hindu/Bhuddist etc who has no belief in the Bible or Christ whatsoever.. How do you talk to them about the idea of salvation and redemption when they have no basis for this?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, in addition if anyone knows of any good books or sermons on this issue please share.

Thanks

Ang

Comments

• Oprah is a freak, preying on the stupid and simpleton to promote her existence.

When people use the lame term in a lame way:  "spiritual", it is to hide their laziness, negligence, and lack of spirit towards God.  They are blaming religion, specifically Christianity, for the problems of the world.

In their own judgement:  'just doing good things is necessary'.

These "spiritual" people tend to cheat, steal, play with the grey area, etc.

The reality:  they are trying to put God to the side so that somehow it allows them to do the immoral and unethical things that they want without the penalties or guilt.
  • There is no gray area, you're either with God or not. these people are claiming their good deeds as a result of their innate goodness, but God is the source of all goodness, and not recognizing God as the source of love, goodness, & virtue weakens their argument.

"...a man who wishes to act rightly receives from God the power to act, no matter where he is - whether in the world or in a silent retreat."
    -St. Simeon the New Theologian.

on anothe note, it's commonly said that your afterlife is a continuation of your earthly life, just intensified. for example, if one was far from God on earth, when he dies he will still be far from God, just intensified (as in hell). and if one was righteous on earth, he'll have eterna life, with God, the epitome of righteousness. so, really, these people cannot end up with God unless they know Him.

"And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD" -Jeremaiah 31:34
  • [quote author=Angelos(by name only) link=topic=11975.msg142446#msg142446 date=1312264369]
    Hi everyone,

I've had a topic that's been on my mind recently that I'd love to get your opinion on..

In conversations with several colleagues and friends recently I've found that a lot of people call themselves spiritual but not religious.. i.e they don't follow a particular religion per se but live by the morals and values they say are shared by all religions. In their view, as long as a person lives a good life and is loving and caring to people around them and treats others like they want to be treated then surely God is not unjust enough to condemn them.

So they believe in God, but think all they have to do to inherit the Kingdom is be "good"? That attitude sums up perfectly the lukewarm person. It is the attitude of the person who takes their talent and does nothing with it. It is the attitude of people who will not inherit the Kingdom.

This "politically correct" view is so common that even some of my non-church attending Coptic Orthodox friends can see some merit to it. It is also becoming very popular in the media, with people like Oprah among others supporitng some of these new age philosophies. Even Dr. Magdy Yacoub, the famous "Coptic" heart surgeon from the UK follows this same philosophy.

Of course it is becoming increasingly popular. It demands almost nothing of the person who adopts it!

For me as a Coptic Orthodox Christian its simple- I know that there is no Salvation without faith in the blood of Christ and life within the church and its sacraments. Yet how do I get this across to a non-Christian/Hindu/Bhuddist etc who has no belief in the Bible or Christ whatsoever.. How do you talk to them about the idea of salvation and redemption when they have no basis for this?

Everyone, no matter how much they deny, has a longing for God. The problem is they look in the wrong places to fulfill this longing. So how do you get it across to them that they must follow Christ and take the Church as their mother? It is extremely difficult sometimes. But the thing is you have to say it. You have to let them know. But pray deeply about it. Pray that our Lord pierces their hearts. It is only He who can change a person. Any change done by humans will be superficial and temporary. The Lord renews a person. Pray for them. Read the Bible so you may understand fully what you will preach. Become a living Bible so they may see your deeds and glorify God.

[quote=1 Peter 3:15]“But sanctify the Lord God in your
    hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason
    for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear