prophetic dreams

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey im sure u guys have heard of prophetic dreams, like if someones getting married they die and the opposite. As well as dreaming of church means that u "miss" it.

well are they tru? i mean i know if a saint comes to u obviously its all cool but otherwise is it like palm reading etc, trying to fortell the future and therefore making it a sin to try and do so...ok i confused myself, just stick to the first question lol.

Comments

• The devil is a tricky dude... he could make all these things happen... make you dream of a marriage, and somehow the person will die... so what next? You will probably think the dream had the answer, and then leave Jesus. that is one of the things that the devil will do to trick people... what I have to say about dreams don’t worry about the meaning too much... just analyze it, and see why did you dream whatever you dreamt, because through you dreams you can help yourself...
  • I think this question sorta fits in with the theme of this thread... ...... .... ..... Superstitions...what of that?
  • I've read that there are ony two kinds of dreams. Dreams that are messages, and prophetic , and dreams that are complete nonsense. (I heard Anba David say it too, so I'm not that crazy...lol). Anyway, the first type is more common. They can be of things that you thought about before you fell asleep, or just mumbled thoughts. If there is a prophetic dream coming your way, God will make it known to you. Although, it could be from the devil.

sleepy
  • st.anthony taught that all dreams come from el shaytan (the devil)

just thought it fit the topic
    aghape,
    chris
  • That's awesome Chris! I never knew that but it's a great thing to meditate on.
  • well... dreams have meaning... and there are the “weird” ones... but mostly they do have meaning... and its not meaning like if you dream that some one dies, they live longer (another one of the meanings of dreams, especially through the Egyptian culture)... but in reality, if someone dies in your dream, your unconscious mind is telling you, you are loosing emotions, and affection to that person.... so through dreams your unconscious mind is telling you things, that you need to take care of., and make yourself a better person…
  • [quote author=CopticChris434 link=board=1;threadid=1189;start=0#msg20447 date=1108153465]
    st.anthony taught that all dreams come from el shaytan (the devil)

i didn't know that either.. but if all dreams come from the devil then are they all bad? ??? because i've had dreams that are of complete nonsense.. like eating pizza.. lol(don't ask) :P
  • i think we disscused this on another thread, but i think i mentioned how most dreams are result of you subconciousness, and that they usually deal with things u ahve subconsiously filed away during the day! and your mind, often wants to tell u soemthing, i really dunno about dreams, but the teaching is interesting i didnt know that!

Maria
  • that sounds funky though dreams comin from the devil, i mean im not about to contradict a st, im not that stupid, but can someone plz explain y then the aggel of the lord comes in dreams

eg:

joesph had an angel come to him in a DREAM and say that its ok to take mary as his wife...

israel/joe dreamed of wrestling w an angel, hence israel means one who knows man and angels...

do see where i come from?
  • I think what St. Anthony meant by teaching that is to show that we should never think our dreams come from the Lord because they can be from the Devil trying to increase our pride. If it's from God, he'll reveal to you somehow that it is. Some dreams just reflect random thoughts or something weird. God bless.
  • well about this st.anthony talked about this he said all but when a dream comes from god youll know and you will feel a peace because when you have a dream from the devil (you all know the devil can appear as an angel of light) and it seems sweet or appealing he can come in the form of a saint the way you can make tyhe distinction between dreams from god and dreams from the devil is that after the dream if u feel peace its from god such as when the angel appeared to zacharias it always mentions in teh bible how they are at furst troubled then they feel peace in their heart the demons dont have the power to do that,

aghape,
    chris

BTW I JUST REALIZED IM A FULL MEMEBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • [quote author=CopticChris434 link=board=1;threadid=1189;start=0#msg20447 date=1108153465]
    st.anthony taught that all dreams come from el shaytan (the devil)

just thought it fit the topic
    aghape,
    chris

Someone brought up this topic in church and Anba David said that they weren't all from the devil. :-\

sleepy
  • dreams are result of you subconciousness, and that they usually deal with things u ahve subconsiously filed away during the day! and your mind, often wants to tell u soemthing, i really dunno about dreams, but the teaching is interesting i didnt know that!

you are right... but there are dreams that have meaning... and may I state, that most of the visions that happend to the saints, or their mothers(saint Bishoy...lol, sorry) as we see in the story of saint Joseph, the lord sent an angel in his dream... also, some dreams have meaning... as I stated before, in my other posts on this topic.
  • i confused myself,

i'm the confusedsoul right here..lol..jk
  • [quote author=confusedsoul link=board=1;threadid=1189;start=0#msg20685 date=1108492913]
    i confused myself,

i'm the confusedsoul right here..lol..jk

confusedsoul, you are confusing me...
  • yes! dreams may be prfiectic but we must be able to distinguish between the dreams that are profetic and those that are not!