Sports and Careers

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
The question is, is it ok in the Church to hav a a professional career in sports? A lot of Churches hav basketball and soccer leagues 4 the kids and college. Also, wat about combat sports, such as boxing? The whole thing isn't really beating someone up.

Comments

• I think a lot of sports can take you away from God simply because of how demanding they are time-wise. It's even worse if you're looking at something like the NFL, where the games are all played on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, I can't even describe to you how fantastically awesome I think sports are. But it would be very difficult.
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=11886.msg141680#msg141680 date=1311172955]
    The question is, is it ok in the Church to hav a a professional career in sports? A lot of Churches hav basketball and soccer leagues 4 the kids and college. Also, wat about combat sports, such as boxing? The whole thing isn't really beating someone up.

It is okay as long as you don't forget God and you must set alone time for Him.
  • A career in sports is not inherently good or bad.  This is true for most careers.  As St. Paul reminds us, "Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (Col. 3:23).

• [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=11886.msg141682#msg141682 date=1311178603]
    I think a lot of sports can take you away from God simply because of how demanding they are time-wise. It's even worse if you're looking at something like the NFL, where the games are all played on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, I can't even describe to you how fantastically awesome I think sports are. But it would be very difficult.

Mass on Wednesdays and Saturdays in most churches!
    In all careers, put God first.
  • People grossly underestimate how much time professional athletes have to put into their sport, even during their off-season. I'm not saying it's impossible or inherently wrong, but that it's more difficult than you might think.
  • What about combat sports?
  • [quote author=CopticFighter link=topic=11886.msg142009#msg142009 date=1311775113]
    What about combat sports?

Well, I don't recommend you do that. The thing is, with sports like boxing, you have to be careful because why are you hitting the other guy? Are you doing it because you don't like him, or you are very mad when doing it? or are you just playing the sport? I don't recommend them at all. Why would you want to play a game in which you hurt the other person? It is just too inhumane.
  • Well, I don't recommend you do that. The thing is, with sports like boxing, you have to be careful because why are you hitting the other guy? Are you doing it because you don't like him, or you are very mad when doing it? or are you just playing the sport? I don't recommend them at all. Why would you want to play a game in which you hurt the other person? It is just too inhumane.

Well, it really isn't hitting someone like that. There should be no hate at all in combat sports, or any other sport 4 that matter. Combat Sports/Martial Arts aren't really just a physical thing, it's very philosophical. It's a bit hard 2 explain, but it's very humbling.