vegetarianism

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What do you beleive when it comes to vegetarianism?

Comments

• It is a type of diet.
  • I think Henrik is getting at the reasons people say they are vegetarians. Namely, because it is cruel to eat animals, blah, blah, blah (I think you can tell where I fall on the spectrum)
  • Well put, Unworthy 1.

But at the same time, it's definitely healthier. I had a customer come in today at the fast food place where I work who said he had been a vegetarian for 49 years. He is turning 87 in September, but looked like he was in his early 60's.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11876.msg141620#msg141620 date=1311012373]
    It is a type of diet.

Loved this too  :D
  • It is definitely healthier and shows great constraint. But I think one can reach Christian perfection and still eat animals.

• [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11876.msg141637#msg141637 date=1311031573]
    It is definitely healthier and shows great constraint. But I think one can reach Christian perfection and still eat animals.

Believe it or not, it actually takes more effort to stay healthy on a vegetarian diet than on one that contains animal products.
    I don't think it shows great constraint. If you think about a food that you really dislike, there's no way you'd go out of your way to eat it. Likewise a vegetarian wouldn't go out of their way to eat meat - whatever the reason.

You said something that struck me, Unworthy1; What is "Christian perfection"?

Pleasee pray for me.
  • As far as I see it, people can eat what they want. Their spiritual life is not effected by whether they are vegetarian or not as long as they keep their fasts.
  • As far as I see it, people can eat what they want. Their spiritual life is not effected by whether they are vegetarian or not as long as they keep their fasts.

Being a vegetarian/vegan has not much to do with spiritual life, except controlling yourself from tasty food. It's just for health benefits
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=11876.msg141647#msg141647 date=1311054440]
    [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11876.msg141637#msg141637 date=1311031573]
    It is definitely healthier and shows great constraint. But I think one can reach Christian perfection and still eat animals.

Believe it or not, it actually takes more effort to stay healthy on a vegetarian diet than on one that contains animal products.
    I don't think it shows great constraint. If you think about a food that you really dislike, there's no way you'd go out of your way to eat it. Likewise a vegetarian wouldn't go out of their way to eat meat - whatever the reason.

You said something that struck me, Unworthy1; What is "Christian perfection"?

Pleasee pray for me.

Forgive me for the delayed reply, HC.

I can't say that my definition is by any means a standard. I'll give it a shot, though.

I think Christian perfection is reaching this state in our spiritual life in which we live the heavenly life on earth. It is being united with our Lord in all the moments of our life. It is a level in which we do not care for the material and worry solely to please the Lord in everything. Where petty things do not bother us and worldy cares do not consume us, but our desire is to love the Lord and our brothers and sisters fully. . .

This is how I always though of it. I could be off the mark. If anyone else would like to chime in, please do. As you can see by how I defined it, I am so far from it that I can't describe it and really don't know how it feels like. But think of the lives of the great desert fathers -that is Christian perfection.

Pray that I may grow more perfect daily.
  • I've heard that 90 % of all the coptic monks are vegetarians?
  • [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=11876.msg141804#msg141804 date=1311452258]
    I've heard that 90 % of all the coptic monks are vegetarians?

This is true, this is because they want to make their will stronger than there body, so that when the devil comes to tempt them their will to fight is stronger than the body that wants to do the sin.
  • If I'm a vegetarian, how will I fast?
    If I love vegetables but despise meat, will I eat meat during fasts and not vegetables?
  • You would fast from dairy and eggs (in the case of a lacto-ovo vegetarian). Additionally, you can also fast from certain foods that you favor.
    As anyone else, there's also spiritual exercises that you focus on during fasting periods :)

Some people do eat meats during fasts, things they don't like to eat, that is. However, it might be more than taste stopping a vegetarian from eating meat.

Pleasee pray for me!
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=11876.msg141816#msg141816 date=1311459643]
    [quote author=henrik.hank link=topic=11876.msg141804#msg141804 date=1311452258]
    I've heard that 90 % of all the coptic monks are vegetarians?

This is true, this is because they want to make their will stronger than there body, so that when the devil comes to tempt them their will to fight is stronger than the body that wants to do the sin.

please explain
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

The Deep Meaning of Fasting
    by Father Matta El Maskeen (Matthew the Poor)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.