Philadelphia Competition

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hi everyone. I am not too thrilled about any of the books for the competition this year (nothing this year makes me go "I really want to read this") so I was wondering if anyone can provide a synopsis of each book/which book they prefer. Thanks and good luck this year!

Comments

• I am not doing the competition this year, altough i did it last year.
    however, i am reading one of the books: "have you seen the one i love?" by H.H. Pope Shenouda III. im not done with it yet, but its amazing and i STRONGLY recommend reading it.
    ...STRONGLY

another book is called "remembering thy first love" idk by who

focus on one book, and really know it... rather than reading all 4.
  • [quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=11819.msg142435#msg142435 date=1312255054]
    I am not doing the competition this year, altough i did it last year.
    however, i am reading one of the books: "have you seen the one i love?" by H.H. Pope Shenouda III. im not done with it yet, but its amazing and i STRONGLY recommend reading it.
    ...STRONGLY

I'm reading that and I'm not gonna lie, it hasn't really lived up to everything I've heard. I feel like in spots where H.H. could have/should have elaborated more, he chose not to.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=11819.msg142437#msg142437 date=1312260353]
    [quote author=ForeverYours link=topic=11819.msg142435#msg142435 date=1312255054]
    I am not doing the competition this year, altough i did it last year.
    ...STRONGLY

I'm reading that and I'm not gonna lie, it hasn't really lived up to everything I've heard. I feel like in spots where H.H. could have/should have elaborated more, he chose not to.

I'm only up to chapter 3. i finished the "Come, my beloved, Let us lodge in the villages" chapter  & "Your name is ointment poured forth" .. so far, i think H.H. made great parallels such as the word "virgins" representing the consecration of the soul to the Lord. and in the story of the 5 wise & 5 foolish virgins, the number 5 is specific to the 5 senses. which parts could he have elaborated on more?
  • Becoming Orthodox by Peter Gillquist is pretty good so far. It's the story of a protestant who converts to orthodoxy. It is a must read if you have a lot of Protestant friends and you get any questions about some of the things Protestants think are odd with the Orthodox Church