The orthodox cross

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
whats that cross with lots of horisontal things and one slanted one? i think its the orthodox one, but i want to know what it means

Comments

• hey it is actually my first time seeing this cross.. i tried to come up with its meaning.. but its a little hard ???
    all i figured was that there is 3 crosses in a diffrent position and sizes!!!.. duuno the meaning

I hope someone knows cuz i would really like to know!

**Smile :) God Loves You**
  • Uhh..well I've seen it before colored and the top horizontal line is the sign that says "King of the Jews"..I think anyway..but I don't know about the bottom one..I saw once a ribbon..sorry :-\
  • well, i'm not really sure but i think the Orthodox one is the one that is like a box ...like a square i should say [] like that except more squarish..lol ;D
  • yeah i'm pretty sure that this is the orthodox cross. This cross is on the front cover of the Orthodox Study Bible which is how i found out about it..

Concerning the Orthodox Cross:

The top bar signifies the sign that was placed above Christ's head, reading, INRI "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews." In Orthodox the phrase "King of Glory" is often written on this bar instead.

The center bar is that upon which Christ's arms were stretched and nailed.

The bottom bar signifies the footrest which supported His body.

hope this helped ;D
  • why is the footrest slanted tho?
  • Hey Nazbert. The reason the bottom piece on the cross is slanted is because it signifies that the part facing upwards represents the thief o nthe right going to heaven with Christ, and the slanting towards the bottom signifies how the thief on Christ's left hand side did not enter Heaven...

BTW Nazbert are you Armenian (Apostolic)?? Because your name especially your last name sounds very Armenian. God bless, ciao,
    Timos