Philokalia?

What is our church stance on the book?Is it recommended to read?

Thank You

Comments

• I'm quite interested in the answer as well. It's an 18th century compilation of Orthodox fathers from the 4th and 5th centuries, done by two monks of Mt Athos. While we are not in communion with the Eastern Orthodox, would it be permitted to read the material selectively, choosing the Fathers whom the Church recognises?
  • As long as you run it by your spiritual guide or FOC and he gives you permission then there is no issue.
  • Agape,

For those who would like to attend, there will be a whole week course (which can be taken for university credit) on the Philokalia offered in the Patristics Summer Program at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, MA. The course is taught by Dr. Bradley Nassif of North Park University.

I highly suggest taking a look at the courses offered there. Note that these courses are university-level courses, but I think exceptions for high school students can be made.

The deadline to apply is on July 1, 2011. The program runs from July 18, 2011 to July 22, 2011.

For more details, see this file: http://www.hchc.edu/assets/files/patristics/2011_SumInst_AnnouncementProgram.pdf