My career and my parents

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I plan on taking Engineering in University and joining the Canadian Forces as a Construction Engineer Officer, I have very good reasons for it, but that's not my issue, I know that's the career for me, at least for the first 9 years of my job life (I plan on leaving after a decade and then working civilian and taking care of family and children. My issue is my parents. They don't want me joining the army. It's the only thing I like doing, and I love what I have to do in it. How can I convince them? I prayed a lot about my choice, I'm so positive about it. I would go to RMCC but they don't let me. Help?

Comments

• They are upset because the US and Canadien forces are currently deployed in battle in a no-win situation with an ill-defined (actually undefined) mission.

They are worried that you may die. 

They are probably worried that, despite the honor of serving in the Armed Forces, you have the potential of being a pawn for foolish politicians and dying without any righteous purpose.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11570.msg139190#msg139190 date=1307577296]
    They are upset because the US and Canadien forces are currently deployed in battle in a no-win situation with an ill-defined (actually undefined) mission.

They are worried that you may die. 

They are probably worried that, despite the honor of serving in the Armed Forces, you have the potential of being a pawn for foolish politicians and dying without any righteous purpose.

Since Egyptians love to number things:  (lol)
    1. Construction Engineer Officers lead around 40 soldiers in mainly non-combat situations like responding to UN calls for disasters, like Haiti and designing and building facilities to facilitate missions. So, I'm fighting for a different cause.
    2. I won't die from being in the situation above.
    3. That is the best point, and I understand it. Of course this is fully possible but what I am looking for is a career where I can help people in the developing world, where people need help. Plus I don't think we will elect a foolish politicien et le laisse de faire ces choses. :P
  • When you are a soldier, you don't have a choice as to where you will be deployed (for the most part).
    In crisis and war, the ability to voice a choice is muted completely.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11570.msg139193#msg139193 date=1307581284]
    When you are a soldier, you don't have a choice as to where you will be deployed (for the most part).
    In crisis and war, the ability to voice a choice is muted completely.

Still, they have Combat Engineers for actual combat situations, in a war, my job would be to take my troops and take orders to design a base, have it built, and protect the base, then move on to other bases, or to provide construction work for the advancing army. I won't die. Officers are guarded by their 40 troops. Plus Canadian Forces are superior to so many armies.
  • But serving your country is a righteous purpose. In serving your country, you serve others, which in turn serves God. (Matthew 25).

If we consider the armed forces as the pawn of politicians, we are in essence saying we know more about politics than our politicians. (Which may be true but it is irrelevant.) When Christ was asked if it is right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar, he didn't actually debate the morality, fairness or veracity of the tax. Of course, Christ knew the Jewish populace was a pawn to the Roman political and tax system. But it is irrelevant. He simply stated that one should follow all governmental rules, not argue to supercede one's personal opinion over civil liabilities and responsibilities.

The core of the problem Khas is facing, in my opinion, is a cultural clash. Coptic Egyptians hate the army because it is a forced draft and the army is full of corruption. This is a cultural reaction. The error lies in the fact that the US, Canadian or European armed forces are not Egyptian. The whole entire system is totally different. And there is no rational, logical basis to equate the two together.

The armed forces are completely misunderstood in the Coptic community. There are so many benefits and good reasons to join the armed forces. Too many to number here.

May God guide you and clearly reveal the way for you Khas.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=11570.msg139195#msg139195 date=1307582285]
    But serving your country is a righteous purpose. In serving your country, you serve others, which in turn serves God. (Matthew 25).

If we consider the armed forces as the pawn of politicians, we are in essence saying we know more about politics than our politicians. (Which may be true but it is irrelevant.) When Christ was asked if it is right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar, he didn't actually debate the morality, fairness or veracity of the tax. Of course, Christ knew the Jewish populace was a pawn to the Roman political and tax system. But it is irrelevant. He simply stated that one should follow all governmental rules, not argue to supercede one's personal opinion over civil liabilities and responsibilities.

The core of the problem Khas is facing, in my opinion, is a cultural clash. Coptic Egyptians hate the army because it is a forced draft and the army is full of corruption. This is a cultural reaction. The error lies in the fact that the US, Canadian or European armed forces are not Egyptian. The whole entire system is totally different. And there is no rational, logical basis to equate the two together.

The armed forces are completely misunderstood in the Coptic community. There are so many benefits and good reasons to join the armed forces. Too many to number here.

May God guide you and clearly reveal the way for you Khas.

Thank you very much. I will show this post to my parents.
    Lettuce.