God's voice vs. our own

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I’m sorry if I put this in the wrong category

How can we recognize God’s voice versus our own?

I was in liturgy a few weeks ago and a thought entered my head that was as if someone was saying it to me, rather than it being my own thought.  It was related to things that are going on in my life that I’m praying about, but it wasn’t something I had thought before myself.  It was almost like an instruction, and I believe what it was telling me to do very well could be God’s will.  It makes me uncomfortable though, which is another reason I feel it might not be my own thought, because no one likes to take themselves out of their comfort zone (at least I don’t).

I’ve never experienced anything like this before – it really was like someone else telling me something.  But I am worried that maybe it was just my own thoughts and I’m making too much out of them.  How can I know?

Please pray for me.

Comments

• If you cannot go into specifics it is hard to say. Seek the guidance of your FoC; he will be able to distinguish whether it is from God or yourself based on the thought that entered your head.
  • usually one gets signs. Sometimes (and not so sure of your situation) we think its Gods voice when its really not &; its just our conscience or possibly the devil  &; sometimes we aren't so sure that maybe it really is God's voice & we are so unaware of what he is telling us. I know it is probably driving you nuts ! However, it really does take patience and prayer . If it is a serious matter then you will find out what it is that you need to find out shortly . & i agree with unworthy , seek guidance . GBU

+mahraeel+
  • Pray... pray... pray...

let me tell you something, if what you were "told" is God's plan, or idea then it will persist, God is never changing... so write it down, and see the pros and cons of this situation, and if one con brings you away from God or effects you spiritual life, then its ntot from God...

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka
  • It’s nice to have support after my first post on a forum  :)  Thanks!

I didn’t include more details in my original post because the back story is rather long… I didn’t want to bore anyone.  And it is kind of personal and I’m always a bit hesitant to share stuff like that.

Thank you very much for the responses and advice.  I will continue praying and will try to talk to a priest about it as soon as possible – I don’t get to talk to one very much.  I am actually not Coptic, or even orthodox.  For the past several months I have been attending liturgy and learning about the church, though.  Tasbeha has been really helpful in this process, so I thought I would post my question and see what kind of responses I got.

Keep me in your prayers.
  • I once felt God directly answer me during a prayer. It was basically after a miserable day, and His answer was telling me why it had turned to be a miserable day. And I knew it was from Him because...I just felt it. This makes it sound like it was obscure, yet there was never a single doubt in my mind that that's where it was coming from.
  • the more we get closer to God (Bible study, prayer, talking about God with friends, Holy Communion), the more we instinctively know what is right.
    the more we care for others and look after people, respect our family/church and not be selfish, the more we understand what God wants.
    read proverbs 3. it show us how the wisdom that comes from God will show us the way.
    there is no 'instant' way to learn to hear God.
    the closer you are to God, the more you hear Him.
    like if you are walking close behind your friend you can hear him better than if he is at the top of a hill and you are standing at the bottom shouting up to him.
  • well said mabsoota 

+mahraeel+