Inspirational Message from HG Bishop Youssef

This is such an amazing letter that I had to put it here, its definitely inspirational:

"Therefore since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin" (I Peter 4:1).

My Beloved Brethren,
Christ is Risen. He is Risen indeed.

While the disciples were drowned in their sorrowful contemplation over the persecution and crucifixion of their beloved Master, He surprised them with His glorious Resurrection. Since then, we have been enjoying the benefits of this Resurrection. Today I extend my wishes to you for a contemplative, joyful and inspiring celebration of our Lord’s Glorious Resurrection, as well as the joyful mysteries that surround it.

Tumultuous times can distract us; tempt us to despair and unfaithfulness, and down the path result in condemnation rather than immortal glorification. However, suffering and uncertainty should not be our demise but our leading source to Salvation. We should not carry our cross with complaint, worry, and protest but follow the example of the Lord Jesus Christ Who carried His holy Cross with courage and persistence.

We must not allow the continued unrest in the Middle East to shake our faith, whether in word or deed. Suffering prepares us for partaking in the Glorious Resurrection and the hope of the life to come. It makes us stronger and determined with unwavering faith.

Persecution purifies the church. Two thousand years of refinement to a church rich with apostolic tradition and rituals have made her increasingly stronger and established her teachings throughout the modern day world. A single Coptic church burned in an explosion can light candles across continents and help to evangelize nations.

The New Testament teaches us to look forward toward the Second Coming, the Kingdom of God, whereby His glory will be manifested and revealed in us all. St. Paul teaches the Romans, "For I considered the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Romans 8:18). He exhorted the Thessalonians saying, "So that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure, which is manifest evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be counted worthy of the Kingdom of God, for which you also suffer" (II Thessalonians 1:4-5).

In order to be counted worthy of the Kingdom of God, when the dead in Christ shall rise, one must strive to become Christ-like. "If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever" (I Peter 4:11).

The Glorious Resurrection has opened the door to the Kingdom of Heaven, and prepared the way to the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ to resurrect the dead in Christ. Tertullian c.210 taught, "Day dies into night and is buried everywhere in darkness...Yet, it again revives, with its own beauty, its own dowry, its own sun—the same as ever. In a word I would say that all creation is instinct with renewal...he whole therefore of this revolving order of things bear witness to the resurrection of the dead."

Let us all give thanks to God for the Glorious Resurrection and the pathway to the Kingdom of Heaven it has opened up to us all. The Glorious Resurrection has turned darkness into light, death into life, and hope into joy.

May we all strive to follow the footsteps of the One who tasted death for us all and know that there is no salvation, no eternal life except through Him.

To Him is the honor, the power, and the dominion over us all. He is risen, truly He is risen.

Bishop Youssef
Bishop, Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States