I am taking a history course on early Christianity. The professor got into John the baptizer and Jesus today and made many, in my view, controversial statements.
1. Jesus was a follower of John
2. John might have been an Essene
3. John baptized Jesus and this was a problem for many Christians and the later gospels (post Mark) try to downplay it
4. The gospel of John never actually mentions John baptizing Jesus
5. Jesus was influenced by John and his move away from ritual performance
Any answers to these claims? Any resources?