I DUNNO WUT TO CALL THIS TOPIC!!!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
ALRIGHT I KNO EVERYONE IS ALL SAD ABT THE TRADGITY BUT LETS TRY TO TALK ABT SUMTHING ELSE HERE... OK SO I HEARD THAT A MOTHER AND HER NEW BORN BABY BOY CAN'T LIKE TALK COMUNION NOR GO IN THE ALTER FOR 40 DAYS... BUT HOW COME IF ITS A GIRL THEY CAN'T TAKE COMUNION NOR GO IN THE ALTER FOR LIKE 80 DAYS!!!!!!! I MEAN WUTS UP W/ THAT... I HEARD ABOUNA SAY IT BE4 IN THE LIL "WA3ZA" SO I NEVER GOT TO ASK HIM ABT THAT.. SO PLZ ANSWER MY QUESTION... HOPEFULLY IT WON'T BE SUMTHING THAT WUD PUT US DOWN :-\!!!

Rina

Comments

• Rina... wat r u talking about? ???
  • OOPS MY BAD... DID I SOUND REALLY CONFUSING.. WELL I MENT.. OK WHEN A WOMAN GIVES BIRTH TO A BOY SHE AND THE BOY RN'T
    ALOWED IN THE ALTER FOR 40 DAYS BUT IF THE NEW BORN BABY IS A GIRL THEY CAN'T GO IN THE ALTER FOR 80 DAYS....
    HOPE I MADE MYSELF CLEAR... :-\
  • yes the baby cant go because they are not baptised, but the female cant go because she is not "clean" the baby can be baptised from the first day of their birth... but they dont because they want to have the mother present
  • how is she not "clean" plz explain Bishoy...
  • lol.... hmmm... good question... I will leave this for the girls to explain... sorry
  • maybe 'unclean' is not 'PURE'
    i think pure is the word ;)
  • "PURE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????????????????????
    still confused... does it have to do w/ like.. o i dunno wut i'm saying... plz explain!!!!!!!!!! :-\
  • k for clarification for Rina...unclean has sumthing to do with her flow of blood after giving birth, m pretty sure...

but the question remains..how come after givin birth to the girl its 80 days while after givin birth to a guy its 40 days...

bishoy said that yea its caz the mother is unclean for that bit but its not like that differs dependin on the sex of the child...so if anyones got answers...POST
  • maybe coz the child isnt baptised yet and the child was born with the sins of his/her parents...the sin from adam and eve
    ?? right or wrong...
    plz correct me
    and keep postin!!
  • thnx copt4lyf... :-*
  • i thought that the boy is supposed to be baptized after 40 days, while the girl hasta wait 80 days. but im not sure why the girls hafta wait twice as long
  • No, MAYBE Christianity was started like that or MAYBE this rule was in a book that fell from heaven.... ;).let's just staw away from the "maybe" word, guys. I know from general knoweldge that the 40 days/ 80 days thing is actually inherited from the Old Testament but a baby CANNOT be baptized earlier, only in certain special occasions is the baby allowed to be baptized earlier, for example if , God forbid, a baby is dying and only has a week to live in that case they do baptize him earlier. Now the number 40 symbolizes perfection or fulfillness that's why for a guy it's 40 and I'm not quite sure but I would also think that a girl is 80 because she has to wait another 40 days, the reason for that according to my understanding is that girls are baptized later becausethey were the first to sin. I have a very nice book that covers baptism from A-Z so if anyone needs me to translate some stuff from it I would be more than happy to do that.

God Bless.

Mike
  • Correction
    A baby can be baptised within Minutes after his/her birth. I don't know of many people that would do that. There is NOTHING in the Coptic orthodox church that says the baby can't be baptized earlier. The reason for the wait (usually 40 days for boys and 80 days for girls) is two things.
    1) Usually the mother is the "Esbeen" or the Guardian who is responsible for teaching that child the faith. She is NOT allowed to take communion within 40 days after giving birth to a boy and 80 days after giving birth to a girl (why the difference, I am still not sure yet)
    2) Also, Babies after birth are weak they are still gettin used to the elements around them. They need time to adapt. In Egypt they say, don't let a child out before the 40 days are over. it might be a traditional thing too.
    In Any event, what is ABSOLUTLY WRONG is waiting longer to baptize a child. Some people wait months, that is WRONG.
    just my 2 cents. I will ask and when I get an answer about the 40/80 rule, I will post.
  • and before the baby is bathtised it has the sin from adam thats also considers hes unclean
  • Hi everyone,

Here what you can find on the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of Southern US website.

The Church can baptize any newborn child boy or girl at any day without waiting forty or eighty days. The forty or eighty days wait is the required time before the mother is allowed to participate in her child baptism as a Godmother since God commanded Moses saying, "If a woman has conceived, and borne a male child, then she shall be unclean seven days; as in the days of her customary impurity she shall be unclean. 'And on the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. 'She shall then continue in the blood of her purification thirty-three days. She shall not touch any hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary until the days of her purification are fulfilled. 'But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her customary impurity, and she shall continue in the blood of her purification sixty-six days" (Lev 12:2-5).

Forty days is considered an enough period for the postpartum hemorrhage to stop. The doubling of the periods when a female is born is intended to remind us of the fact that the woman was the first to fall into temptation and to introduce sin to the world (1 Tim 2:13-15; 1 Pet 3:7).

I hope it will help you.
    And may God bless you.
  • The doubling of the periods when a female is born is intended to remind us of the fact that the woman was the first to fall into temptation and to introduce sin to the world

The Bible says in the Book of Romans that it was through "one man that sin entered the world".It was Adams sin that plunged mankind into the depths of darkness and bondage of iniquity.Man is the head of the woman and thus the ultimate responsibility and conseqence rests with him.Eve didnt force Adam to sin but rather it was through his own willful disobedience that sin entered the world.Then to top it all off he acted cowardly when he whined to God"It was the woman who made me sin".Men have been playing the coward ever since blaming women for their weakness and not taking responsibility for their own actions.We want to be the head of woman but we dont want to accept the responsibility that that entails.Let us be men of honour.Let us be true men indeed!
  • nice words Jerry... lol... but my question is wut does the woman have to do w/ it?? i mean God is the one who chose weither she's having a girl or a boy.. right? its not her falt she got a girl.. :-\.. do i make sense............... YES............... i think i do!!!

Rina
  • Okay Rina I hope this helps :D
    A baby like mentioned before can be baptized right after birth, but not with the mother. Usually the mother wants to be there in the baby's baptism and be the guardian but if she wants to, she must wait 40 days if she has a boy and 80 for a girl because after birth, im not sure whether its a flow of blood or discharge of some sort but she has that for approx. 40 days if she has a boy and 80 for a girl. Its the 40/80 day thing isnt some Church rule or anything, its just the mother.. God Bless you all ;D
  • FORGIVE me RINA... if I didnt help... I am Innocent ... and I get shy... totally kiddng.. but sorry
  • I recently asked the same question and it has nothing to do with a girl being a girl but simply because when a woman gives birth to a girl, it's more complex and it takes longer for her to completely heal. A boy takes less time. The mother is usually the igbene and she can not enter the church unless healed. If the mother won't be the igbene then the baby girl could be baptised sooner and same for boys. This amount of days is also given in the Bible. God bless.