Orthodoxy and Holidays

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
The Orthodox Church is based on the theology and tradition passed down directly from Christ and followers, but as far as i know the celebration of some holidays and the lents assigned to them are relatively recent.

How did the church choose the dates for holidays and which to celebrate? Christmas, Easter, etc.

When were they established - as far as i know the celebration of Christmas is a relatively recent holiday.

Also how did the hymns and traditions get assigned to them?

Correct me if i have anything wrong.

Comments

• When were they established - as far as i know the celebration of Christmas is a relatively recent holiday.

I applaud you for researching.

Christmas

The Apostolic canons (1st century) command that the Christians observe the birth of Christ on 25th of the 10th month of the Julian year (which is 25 December in the modern Gregorian calendar). This corresponds to the 28th/29th of Kiahk. We also find this date in the writings of the fathers like St Clement of Alexandria(3rd century), St Basil the Great and St John Chrysostom (5th century) who were among the first to write on the Feast of Nativity.

[Easter]

Intitially it was celebrated the Friday following the Jewish Passover (1st century). Later it was fixed by Pope Dionosious the 14th (3rd century), and the see of Alexandria was the one to announce it to the rest of Christendom.

So, you see the fix of these dates are pretty old in the Church.

Thanks.
  • Thanks, where and what can i read (or watch) about that and just the history of the church etc?