Technology In the Church

2»

Comments

• ::)
    Lord have mercy.
  • [quote author=returnorthodoxy link=topic=11198.msg135481#msg135481 date=1302206775]
    In my church:
    -A screen covering about 1/6 of the iconostasis.
    -A computer touch screen on the altar table (with computer tower inside the altar table)
    -A computer screen on the lectern for the readings
    -A plan to insert TV screens on the pillars of the church to have the mass fillmed on camera, and be shown on the tv so that those outside can see whats happening in the altar (yes a camera man will be walking around in the altar filming the sacrements)
    -Computers inside the altar to broadcast the liturgy to those at home who want to watch online.

Just some odd things that wish my church wouldnt do.

That's kind of extreme....
    Thank God my church has a streaming system with cameras on the walls, no plans of getting TV's (I hope not... the church isn't that large), we have a paper katameros and the screen for our altar is a portable monitor that runs on a mini laptop...I now see why some people think the technology is too much in the church...
  • It's okay [sarcasm] I've seen several screens mounted onto the columns over the altar.
    The problem is copycat.  One church does it and another copies and tries to take it to the next level.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11198.msg135493#msg135493 date=1302211401]
    It's okay [sarcasm] I've seen several screens mounted onto the columns over the altar.
    The problem is copycat.  One church does it and another copies and tries to take it to the next level.

hmmmmm...it's a competition....
  • so what can we do o stop this from limiting our spiritual growth?
  • The problem with it is that the altar represents the kingdom of heaven and the throne of God...when most people think of these realities, a computer screen doesnt usually come to mind (at least I hope not :). The altar is where the Holy Sacrament(s) take place and the sense of awe and mystery must always be preserved. Without the awe and mystery, we tend to lose respect for the altar and it becoems just another area of the building, another room. This, then could easily lead to ritualism which is different from liturgical prayer. "Well if its just another room, why do we have to do all these fancy rituals?" etc.

Most of us have computers, at home, in the workplace, in the school setting...and having a screen (ESPECIALLY at the altar) is rediculous since its just too close to our day to day earthly experience. Like imkhail previously mentioned, just build churches properly and this wouldnt be as big a problem. Also, just as Fr. Peter said, teach people to memorize the prayers rather than simply read them every time they come to church.