What does it mean when a Bishop or Pope...

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
What does it mean when a Bishop or Pope blow in your face?  I had a Bishop blow in my face when I asked him to pray for me, so he prayed for me for a bit then blew in my face, so did the Pope after I asked him to pray for me..he also blew in my face after he made the sign of the cross on my forehead with his thumb.

Comments

• If you notice, this is also done at priest (and I assume bishop) and deacon ordinations, and in those cases I believe it is a passing of the Holy Spirit. Additionally, the priest blows on the Holy Oblations during the Divine Liturgy during the Institution Narrative, again as a passing of the Holy Spirit (I believe).
  • I know this is really off topic, but by any chance are you from Toronto? I think I know who you are

But what do you mean passing of Holy Spirit, don't we already have the Holy Spirit inside of us since we got baptized?
  • The Holy Spirit descends on the baptized to renew the fallen nature. This is available to everyone who desires salvation. However, there are certain gifts of the Holy Spirit that are only given to elected people to carry out the work of God and build His Church. One of them is the priesthood.

Thanks.
  • Does that mean I will become a Priest or a monk in the future? My heart has been set on one of these actually...
  • No it doesn't. They do this to anyone who confesses/asks to be prayed for including girls. Never seek ranks, they must be given to you, not something that is sought.
  • One thing that is specific is that when the Pope passes the Spirit by blowing into their mouth saying "Accept the Holy Spirit" (maybe a different declaration).
    When abouna blows the Spirit in your face in general, it's like refreshment of the Spirit in you. It's like taking communion over and over.
  • No way the blowing in the face equates to communion. Totally different.

Blowing in the face is just a type of blessing; similar to putting the hands on the head. Here I am only talking about blowing in the face of the laity and NOT in the context of ordination.

Thanks.
  • Wow I must have been one blessed guy. The pope put his hands on my head, crossed my forehead, then blew in my face. So in summary its just a blessing