Commuinon More than Once

Is it wrong if one is to take communion at night and then again early the next morning?

Comments

• [quote author=deaconmark123 link=topic=10990.msg133173#msg133173 date=1300303775]
    Is it wrong if one is to take communion at night and then again early the next morning?

there must be 9 hours between a liturgy and another you pray.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

I was curious, does anyone know which canon (if any) dictates the frequency of partaking of the Eucharist?
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10990.msg133179#msg133179 date=1300306711]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

I was curious, does anyone know which canon (if any) dictates the frequency of partaking of the Eucharist?

I believe the 9 hour period of abstinence is the same as that of the abstinence of any food or drink before the Eucharist.

Where this was first written, I don't know.

• + Irini nem ehmot,

I'm sure it is the same. I'm more interested in the history and development/evolution of this idea. I'm curious where it came from, if it exists in the canons, which canons, that sort of thing.
  • I was told you couldn't take communion in the same day. For example, you cannot take communion in the morning liturgy and in the night liturgy during lent.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=10990.msg133188#msg133188 date=1300310603]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

I'm sure it is the same. I'm more interested in the history and development/evolution of this idea. I'm curious where it came from, if it exists in the canons, which canons, that sort of thing.

I remember reading somewhere can't remember exactly at the moment that this was not the case in the early church. People did not have to abstain from food and drink but this came about because many people were coming to church drunk. So they felt it wasn't right that people be in that state while participating in the Liturgy and said they are to abstain from food and drink. How valid this is I am not sure. I am also curious as to how the timing of liturgies came about. Where they always held in mornings or were they at times held in the afternoon after people were done working like they do in Lent?

[quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10990.msg133193#msg133193 date=1300313143]
    I was told you couldn't take communion in the same day. For example, you cannot take communion in the morning liturgy and in the night liturgy during lent.

This is true but days and nights are not measured by how we measure them in the Church. A day is from sunset to sunset. So in the sense of the Paramoune or Bright Saturday/Resurrection Liturgy. You are taking it twice in the "same" day maybe by our standards but not necessarily by how the church measures a day.
  • The Church teaches that we should take water after we take communion so that nothing of the "jewels" remain in the mouth. So, by default a person breaks the fast by taking water and thus should wait 9 hours before taking another communion.

Subdeacons are aware of this when the priest tries to finish the rest of the body by giving it to the subdeacons another time. If any of them took water then he can't take the body again.

Thanks.