The food line for Fasting

As many know, fasting is right around the corner.... what exactly is the line for the food part of fasting. Yes, I know that we are supposed to gain spirituality and not to worry about food but food is a part of fasting. So where is the line? I have heard from some people that if a milk product or egg product is not the first ingredient in the package, then it is ok. Others say that if it looks siami but really is fitary (rice krispie treats for example) then it is ok. If you can please answer the FOOOD part that would be great :)

Comments

• I would suggest reading the Spirituality of Fasting by His Holiness, which is readily available online..

http://tasbeha.org/content/hh_books/fasting/index.html

Food is most certainly not acceptable for the fast if there is milk or egg as a product. Perhaps if it is way down the list of ingredients and is some form of milk or egg derivative, but if it is 2nd or 3rd or 4th or 5th then it is a milk or egg product.

I suggest reading the book by His Holiness, it answers most questions.

God bless your fasting,

Father Peter
  • Do let me urge every one of us to read this book by His Holiness for our salvation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Why do you think that might be? What are you tending to eat, and when do you try to break your fast?
  • Do you eat all day I meant. or do you break your fast at 3pm or 5pm or whenever?

It's true we eat carbohydrates, but if we eat later then we don't eat so much.
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=10840.msg131957#msg131957 date=1299197367]
    oh. well everyday, fast or not, i try to stop eating at 8.
    we have to stop eating earlier during the fast? i didnt know that

There should be a period of complete abstinence everyday. How long that continues for will depend on the spiritual rule between you an your spiritual father: some fast until 12pm, some until 3, some 5, some until sunset.
  • DimyanCoptic, I think you misunderstand me.

The general rule (modified in one way or another by our spiritual fathers) is that we abstain from all meat and dairy products during the Fast, but also that we fast (that is, do not eat at all) until a certain period in the day.

I was asking when you broke your fast, which means, when does a person eat after fasting. No-one needs to know a definite time, but if you have not understood that there is a period of not eating then this may be why your carbohydrate intake is high.

God bless you

Father Peter