cheers?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Is drinking wrong... and if so, why then did the disciples and Christ himself drink?

Comments

• i don't think drinking is wrong. i think getting drunk is wrong.
  • I would think getting drunk is completely WRONG....just drink as a social thing i would think it's k...i don't do it myself, but i don't think anything is wrong with it. I don't see the point of people who even drink or get drunk...u are just putting poison in ur body...kinda of sound like a slow suicide a bit. To answer ur question abt Jesus...I don't think he ever got drunk...and actually i would like to see verses abt the time tht Jesus and the disciples were drinking.
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • the last supper?
    the wedding of cana?
  • Its not wrong to drink unless you get drunk!Moderation in all things!But why take the chance of getting drunk.God has given us plenty of alternatives that are healthy i.e. water,juices,etc. Alcohol just tastes bad...lol...period...I dont know how anyone can drink the stuff...lol... ;D Dont most people drink so that can get a "buzz"{meaning their drunk}.Why even expose yourself to such temptation?Back in the day many people drank beer{ale}wine,etc because it was safer than the water.You could actually die drinking the local water due to disease,etc.Now,for the most part,we dont suffer from unsafe drinking conditions.Whats our excuse?We just want to feel good...lol...Go ahead,drink the wine if you have self control,enjoy Gods gift{some people really love the taste...lol}but take heed you dont end up drunk and thus transgress the boundries set forth by God."The drunkard shall not inherit the kingdom of Heaven". :)
  • let's not talk abt the last supper...Jesus was making a covenant with us...He said that His body and blood will erase our sins, so the wine that was used in the Last Supper is the blood of Jesus Christ...I don't know how to expalin this but i hope u get wut i mean.
    About the wedding of cana...it says that Jesus changed the water into wine...I am not sure if Jesus drink the wine or not. If u can get the exact verse, that will be great...thanks.
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • Our body is a temple built by God . Would you drink in God's temple? Also remember that the blood and body of Jesus Christ is in that temple and it is also in our bodies...
  • who likes the taste? hmmm I do.... for the most part.....lol just kidding ::)

so our body is the temple of God, and its okay to take a glass or two, but not get drunk... let me relate it to something, smoking for example is it okay to take a puff, and not smoke the whole thing...

so do you guys get what I mean? hopefully I am not confusing you
  • i think smoking is alot more addictive than drinking...
    so i believe it's 'more dangerous' to smoke a lil bit than drink a lil bit.......
    so aviod smoking at all costs lol

besides.... children of God dont need to drink, they've got alot better things going on for them than mere alcohol.... lol ;)

take care & God bless
  • hey all,

I actually asked an abouna this question recently. Here's the basic answer: As jfranklin mentioned, in the old days, the water was unsafe to drink, which is why wine was often used (including during the times of our Lord, which explains why He turned the water into wine). Presently, alcohol itself, as a substance, is not sinful or a sin. But we must remember what St. Paul says in I Corinthians 10:23: "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not." My point is, how does drinking alcohol edify us? On the contrary, it's more likely to cause us to sin.

Also, personally, I understand that sometimes if you're out with your team from work and everyone is drinking, you may be pressured to do the same. But trust me, it's not worth it. Kindly refuse and get something else. Not only will this prevent you from getting drunk and making a complete fool of yourself in front of your colleagues and superiors, but it can also witness to the world your dedication to your faith, your self control and discipline, and your consequent preservation of your body as the temple of God.

I should mention that drinking one glass is not in itself a sin, but that getting drunk is the sin...but I would suggest you don't even bother with one glass because you may end up losing control and getting drunk. Why put yourself in that situation to begin with?

Well, that's just what I think anyway. Hope it helped.
  • I should mention that drinking one glass is not in itself a sin

all I am getting is its okay, but don’t get drunk.... but to me that is not a solid answer, it is not a YES, or a NO.... I don’t smoke, but as I mentioned is it okay to take a puff of a cigarets but not smoke the whole thing... or smoke one a day? and health wise, you are getting hurt from one glass a day, also... not as much as getting fully drunk, but you are still getting hurt... and your body is a temple of the LORD, and I thought we need to keep it pure... so how come our church agrees to one of the most dangerous drugs? but when we see a smoker, or whatever the person is doing we say it is a SIN?
  • drinking a glass a day is not bad for health, infact some doctors reccomend a glass a day of wine for some people to help with their liver functioning.....and wiskey is good to drink for those who are having trouble digesting fatty foods (it breaks down the fat making it easier to digest- causing less stomache aches).... so it is not bad for the health nor sinful to drink a glass a day (or somthing like that)....

but as many mentioned before - your body is the temple of the Lord, so dont hurt it. if you're helping your body health by a little bit of drinking, by all means go ahead and drink sensibly. if you're destroying you're body, then dont do it.

as for smoking, as i've mentioned before, its dangerous to take a puff or somke only one a day, because it is VERY addictive, and one would be putting themselves in a trap if they try to somke only on a limited basis.

the best person to consult about this would be one's FOC.... their advice would be more meaningful and relavent to the person....

take care and God bless
  • :) The difference between smokng and drinking{in moderation}is this.One glass a day doesnt hurt your body,the temple of the LORD,whereas smoking even one cigarette,cigar,etc is very harmful to your body i.e. lungs,etc.Even breathing second-hand smoke causes damage to your overall health.Tobacco is just plain bad for you whether you smoke or chew it.Theres absolutely nothing beneficial to be gained by indulging in this vile habit.Some people think they look "cool" when they smoke...lol...Actualy{in my opinion}they look "sick".Its a disgusting habit...lol...If you want to look "cool"go lift weights and "work out" in a gym,etc.

As CrazyCopt stated,some doctors and clinical studies suggest that drinking can actually benefit your health if done in extreme moderation.Too much though definately hurts your body and nullifies the beneficial effects.

Drinking is just like eating food.Food is a gift of God that can be abused.We need to eat every day for energy,health,etc.Without it we will eventually die.But if we eat too much we can damage our bodies both in the short term as well as in the long run.Eating is a gift of God.Gluttony is a deadly sin.Drinking is a gift of God.Drunkedness is a deadly sin. So it is with all of life.Moderation in all things! But avoid those things stricknine poison,cigarettes,etc that destroy your body...lol... ;)