Is it truly wrong

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
if dating is wrong then why does it seem so normal expecially in the US. for example school teachers don't think its wrong the majority of the school think its actually normal. even in television it seems normal then wuts o wrong about it when everybody thinks its right?

Comments

• the whole society thinks ok
    logic if u ask me, i mean, do these people go to church every sunday like we do?? Do they read the bible?? Do they have an abouna to tell them it's not ok...
    for them there's no reason for it being wrong, because they don't know any better, they have an excuse for not knowing it...

they think dating is fine, they think pre-marital sex is fine, and look how 2/3 of all marriages end up in divorces :(

we should consider ourselves lucky that we know better than that

as for it being wrong, i suggest u take a look at these threads:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=22

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=919

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1033

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=737;start=15
  • When you do something wrong for a long time it doesn't seem wrong at all after that, now does it?
    For example, God forbid, the gay marrige law gets passed, 40 years from now, Gay marriage wouldn't be a topic for discussion, its the "Natural" thing to do.
    Besides, its a culteral thing. Not everything that is adopted in a culture is right. For example, it was a culteral practice in Egypt that it is a shame to have a baby girl. They would kill her (Major issue a while back). It is not right, but people used to do it and adovacte it too.
    Also, When a guy talk to a girl is not wrong, but the intentions behind it is. The next step. You are providing a venue for the devil to work. Why can't you hang out in groups of 5 or 6 VS. couples?
    Dating leades to other sins that we are better off without, so don't put yourself in that situation.
  • yeah i agree with both of u....even though i switch my mind sometimes on this kind of topics....
    Yeah the society makes everything look ok, and i guess that's why we fall for it from the first place. I am not only talking about the American society, but some egyptians who immigrated to other countries...they got use to the societies and now they are doing what they think is supposedly right when it isn't. I am not trying to judge wut other societies think...because I fall in tht a lot myself...sometimes i think tht the society is right and tht it's normal to do it, but believe me if u experience something u will understand why the church doesn't like dating at a young age when people aren't commited for marriage and serious relationships. I personally can't think of any one i know tht dated at a younger age and it succedded....especially when the two couples are young. Both people will just get hurt and confuse themselves more in life if they went through something tht won't succed. Better leave ur life as it is...then hurting urself and someone else with u. My FOC always tells me that there is a time for everything under heaven (leh kol shaiia taht el samaa wakt)...time will come when u will find a person tht will truly care for u and loves u and be commited to u for the rest of their life. It would be better knowing that u went through with it and got something in return which is marriage...and love u can share between both of u....then going through something at a young age where u wouldn't knw what it's gonna lead to and might cause u more harm than good.
    I guess what I am saying is...understand urself understand ur piroties and wut ur life means right now...for most of us it's probably school and getting through it...these things will come later and it would be a whole lot better later then now. Don't look at what society think what's right and what's wrong....look at what ur church and wut it says is right or wrong...be wut u really are...not wut the society tells u to be. I hope I made sense a bit
    God BLess,
    Marianne
  • i agree a zillion procent with u marianne :)

and since i know nobody will read the older threads lol, i'll re-post a part that i found very usefull when i heard it the first time:

Oh wait; another two cents from a sermon i heard by fr Athanasius Iskandar

He said we have a big potential of love to give, and if we have different bf/gf we won't be able to give all that love to our ONE future spous, which is the reason we should try to know only one man/woman in our whole life to be able to have a strong relation and give ourselves as a whole, and not to have given a part of us to another person before.

• The brain...you asked what makes it wrong...:
    a) wastes time
    b) exposes you to temptation
    c) takes away your energy and concentration from things that edify n build and are more guaranteed then a relationship
    d) if your young...it goes against you waiting for God's plan in your life as ur rushin n putting things in ur own hands
    e) can often entail thoughts

....there are prolly more reasons...feel free to add on people... (p.s. so far the things i stated assume a fairly clean relationship....if its dating like the rest of the world n most ppl do it...then there are plenty things that make it wrong m not even gonna mention...in hope that we're better than that)

but yea if youre gonna go by society then hekkk its all goood.... do they even still believe in "sin"...this is a society that barely recognizes God so m sure theyre not tooo concerned with actions that offend Him.
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=board=4;threadid=1071;start=0#msg18010 date=1105557031]

Oh wait; another two cents from a sermon i heard by fr Athanasius Iskandar

He said we have a big potential of love to give, and if we have different bf/gf we won't be able to give all that love to our ONE future spous, which is the reason we should try to know only one man/woman in our whole life to be able to have a strong relation and give ourselves as a whole, and not to have given a part of us to another person before.

Oh my God...this is quote is so good and so TRUE...Another reason why most of the so called socities "marriage" fail...there is no love between them...they just met a lot of people before that they can't be commited to tht one person...because they only give them a part of their love...if there was even love in the first place.

• Oh another dating thread.... lol... its okay, I am very proud of some of the answers, couldn’t have said it better myself... very good....

But to play the devil's advocate, what if a person was born in the states, who happens to be a second maybe third generation, who goes to church, from Egyptian roots, but has been going to school, watching TV and all he hears is dating is totally fine, he goes to church, and sees all these beautiful Coptic girls ;) ;) and just goes ahead and dates one of them.... is that okay.... well I know it isn’t okay for us because we come from a culture that is anti dating, but he was raised in a society that favors dating…

so what then?
  • It depends on how his/ her parents raised them...not on how the society raised them....parents believe it's ok...children will believe it's ok...and vice versa. If the parents came from Egypt and were raised in Egypt....I doubt they will teach their children according to the American society. I guess it all falls under the responsibility of the parents...I have seen it both way since i came here...there are those who raise their children as americans and there is the other way (few people thou)...hope i made sense.
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • the whole society thinks ok
    logic if u ask me, i mean, do these people go to church every sunday like we do?? Do they read the bible?? Do they have an abouna to tell them it's not ok...

I kinda disagree... if not fully, some of the people I met that date, and I stress on some, are amazing people that have amazing guids to their spirituality.... and know the bible, beter than some scholors, and have faith better than many... so really I disagree with that comment....
  • It depends on how his/ her parents raised them...not on how the society raised them

but society plays a BIG role on the child... not more than parents, but it plays HUGE role also, mostly mentally....
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=4;threadid=1071;start=0#msg18016 date=1105563153]

It depends on how his/ her parents raised them...not on how the society raised them

but society plays a BIG role on the child... not more than parents, but it plays HUGE role also, mostly mentally....

Yeah I agree...then I guess it depends on the person...abt wut he believes he will follow...the society( yeah which would make a lot of people accept him...for A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME)...or the church (which would make God accept him...FOREVER)
  • havent we already had like 7,000,000,0000,0000,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    posts about this cmon guys fynd some thing new to talk about

aghape chris
  • [quote author=socoolbishoy link=board=4;threadid=1071;start=0#msg18013 date=1105562027]
    But to play the devil's advocate, what if a person was born in the states, who happens to be a second maybe third generation, who goes to church, from Egyptian roots, but has been going to school, watching TV and all he hears is dating is totally fine, he goes to church, and sees all these beautiful Coptic girls ;) ;) and just goes ahead and dates one of them.... is that okay.... well I know it isn’t okay for us because we come from a culture that is anti dating, but he was raised in a society that favors dating…

so what then?

i just wanted to say to that comment (not to pick on you or anything bishoy).... that i dont think kids born and raised generations in north america should be 'treated' any differently than those who are more 'egyptainized'.... it doest make them any different. perhaps they'll struggle more because they've been exposed to it extensively for a longer time, but they should be taught as we are taught: dating is wrong, save it for much later when they're ready to marry. its not ok for them to do it and not others....
    they should infact set an example for the newcommers and immagrents on what not to do; namely follow society, because those new to the country will not be as aware and alert to stuff like that as much as those who are more north american....

jus my lil opinion on that
  • okay so you are saying dating is more of a cultural thing... only in America... or where ever, just not in Egypt? because that was not the case when I went to visit Egypt this summer.... sorry I am being the devil's advocate again... sorry... but these are in a way questions that come to mind.
  • oh, im sorry i didnt mean to imply that at all....

what i meant to say was that there are those who are raised in a more strict way not to date and such, and those are ususally people that arent "generations in north america" .... those that had parents and perhaps grandparents grow up in north america, i think, might be 'more comfrotable' with the idea of going out, because they have been exposed to it for so long, and their parents and grandparents, perhaps, may not stress the 'no going out' as much..... in north america, dating and sleeping with people and is an accpetable and common thing exposed in the media and tv shows and amongs adults and teens.... it's basically everywhere. my beleif is that, although it might happen in egypt and middle eastern countries and such, its not as open and revealed....
    that's just my opinion though.... not sure of anything
    i hope im communicating my thought properly.......
  • I could be wrong, but what I noticed that only along the costs that dating is acceptable. Only in the metropolitan areas is this practice approved. If you go further west, (or east, whichever the case maybe) it is not acceptable behavior. True, it is a cultural thing and when ppl in the middle east and Egypt do it, only because they want to be "Modernized". Just because you are in a place or a country that does things a certain way, means you have to. We have to educate our children (whether 2nd or 10th generation) that dating is out right WRONG.
    Just my 2 cents, hope didn't get too many people confused.
  • [quote author=Coptic boy link=board=4;threadid=1071;start=15#msg18109 date=1105717361]
    We have to educate our children (whether 2nd or 10th generation) that dating is out right WRONG.

well said... i totally agree....

take care and God bless
  • havent we already had like 7,000,000,0000,0000,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    posts about this cmon guys fynd some thing new to talk about

LOL... ;D ;
  • To answer your question bishoy...i think the issue comes down to age and intentions...there are GOOD people who date but their intentions are good...they inform their father of Confession...parents...etc. They go about it seriously with the intention of marriage and the dating relationship is much like a friendship with feelings and potentiality on the side and the relationship makes sense due to AGE also. That way, the relationship is clean and blameless, even within an egyptian society (although it is kinda tinted with taboo from the tetas and stuff) but the relationship is fine. HOWEVER...under any other circumstances(regardless of the generations youve been in US for etc) the relatonship is sure to entail sin, one way or another. Again it is important to remember that we do not have harram and halal in Christianity....circumstances, thoughts, intentions, actions...are all things that count and determine whether or not the final act is acceptable or not!...having said that ..there are appropriate ways to date (as much as i hate to admit it...but theyre outlined above...AGE IS SO IMPORTANT YA WELAD) Also. there are no double standards in Christianity..where ur from etc. doesnt matter.....inside of us, we know when a relationship is stepping over God's boundaries..His spirit within us tells us ..we feel it and we know it....we know when we're sinning in relationships..even if we deny it for a while...

lol thats my two cents...(lol ive been sayin "two cents" so much MORE since i discovered tasbeha.org lol...way more than usual) ::)
  • okay just going back to the whole amarica thing and growing up in america my praents and my chruch community told me that dating is worng at my age(it has limitations but i am not goign to get into that) or that i shouldnt do it, when i have kids i am going to teach them the same thing, and when my kids have kids they will teach them the same thing, and besides there are alot of american people who think dating is a waste of time, i personaly think it has nothing to do with culture!