The DaVinci Code

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering about the DaVinci code, the book. I was wondering if anyone read it, and if you could tell me what is the whole deal abou the book. My pries told me that the book is blasphemous. And i heard rumours about how the book's purpose is to convince people that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had a child, and in the last supper pictures, their child is the one leading her head on Jesus' shoulder, however we all know, according to the Holy Bible that they only people present at the supper were the Holy Disciples, and John the beloved was the one with his head on Jesus' shoulder.

My friend told me to read it because, only those of strong faith can. However i'm not sure if i should, because wouldn't it be considered blasphemy...

Anyway so my questions are what is the book about, the truth behind it and whether i should read it or is it considered blasphemous?

Thank You all
God Bless
And i Hope you all spend a wonderful Christmas.

~Cookie~

Comments

• My friend told me to read it

Dont read it! Its nothing but garbage.Just another attempt by Satan to blaspeme the wonderful Person of our Lord Jesus Christ.

the truth behind it

There is no truth behind it.Only a evil slanderous spirit.The same spirit that spoke through the people of Nazareth when they questioned Jesus parentage"Isnt this the carpenters son..."This was a slander against Mary hinting that Jesus was an illegitimate child.The Devil always tries to slander the perfect character of the Son of God.
  • hey guys ok i finally have tyme to post about this i kept tryen to post this topic but i ran outta tyme neway this book is based on heretic writings the church condemned years ago. Im sure all of you are falimiar with the heresy of gnosticism

heres sum stuff about Gnosticism
    and How the Da Vinci code relates?

Gnosticism was a dualistic, esoteric mode of thinking that was widespread during the early Christian era, although its influence was not confined to Christianity. The Gnostic Gospels are works reflecting the Gnostic take on Christianity. Some have been known for centuries, but previously unknown works — in the Nag Hammadi scrolls — were discovered in Egypt in 1945.

Some modern scholars and religious writers have seized upon various passages from the Gnostic Gospels as indicative of a competing, woman-centered element of early Christianity, especially a passage from The Gospel of Mary in which Jesus kisses Mary and the apostles express envy of His love for her. Brown works this thinking into his novel, but, like many others, ignores a deeply anti-woman passage from another Gnostic gospel, the Gospel of Thomas, in which Jesus says, "For every woman who will make herself male will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven."

Gnosticism was rejected by Christianity, but not because of gender issues. Its claims (two gods, a belief that the created world was evil) were simply inconsistent with the rule of faith, as it was called, handed down from the apostles.

The canonical Gospels all date from the middle to late first century. The Gnostic gospels cannot be placed any earlier than the mid-second century. It is ironic, as historian James Hitchcock has pointed out, that elements of a profession that have for years derided the Gospels as unreliable history have now seized on later documents as reliable guides to Jesus' intentions.

Dan Brown indicates that the Gnostic Gospels were widely accepted in early Christianity and that Constantine ordered them destroyed. Is this true?

No. The process of discerning the authentic Gospels was a lengthy one, but it had already begun in the early second century. Some communities used various other Gospels, but second-century Church Fathers frequently cited the four Gospels as authoritative. Their criteria were apostolic origins and fidelity to the rule of faith, not gender issues. Brown's conspiracy theory is a fabrication. Moreover, the final determinations about what constituted the Christian canon of Scripture were made by councils held after Constantine's time.

Other Flaws in The DaVinci Code

Besides being logically and historically flawed, The Da Vinci Code is filled with more minor, but no less risible, errors. Here are a few:

One of Brown's scholars says, "As the prophesied Messiah, Jesus toppled kings, inspired millions and founded new philosophies." We'd like to meet those toppled kings.

The Emperor Constantine did not make Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire in A.D. 325. It happened under Theodosius 50 years later.

Gothic architecture was not "masterminded" by the Knights Templar, a medieval military order that had nothing to do with the construction of Gothic cathedrals.

The Church did not burn 5 million witches during the Middle Ages. During the period 1400-1800, an estimated 30,000-50,000 people accused of witchcraft (20 percent of whom were men) were executed by Catholic and Protestant institutions and governments.

Theres A Book About its blasphemy so if you choose to read it though i highly recommend you not to Use this book as a companion....
    [urlhttp://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6F22SX6IdL&isbn=1592761011&itm=1[/url]

it depresses me what this world is coming to anyway hope i helped sorry to make it so long but i did my bestto try to keep it short

aghape,
    chris

looking forward to reading other's thoughts about this
  • I don't think it's so wrong to read what others say..Just as long as you know that you will not be convinced. There is no truth behind it but we can't always say that these things will never come up again..Just keep strong in faith, otherwise don't test yourslef. God bless.
  • Dear brothers and sisters,

The DaVinci code...... one of the most dangerous books today. I personally have not had the chance to read the book and I do not know whether I should read it or not.

Many of us fear that our faith may be shaken by reading such blasphemy and this is true. Many of us, me being the first, are limited in knowledge about our faith and may stumble at even the easiest redirection. I strongly recommend those who do not feel comfortable about reading this book not to.

On the other hand, it is important for us as Christians to be aware of everything going on around us or we will fall into the trickery of Satan. These kinds of books, give us the opportunity to strengthen our faith by knowing the answers to the truth (which these books definitly do not provide). By experiencing the different modes of thought of others, we may be able to expand our knowledge, which in turn allows us to answer against these false beliefs.

For those who are very strong in the faith and are educated about the true Church doctrines (by the Grace and love of God) should read this book to get an idea of how the world is revolving around us today, but also at the same time be careful not to get sucked into the false truths.

Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion and I hope it was not of an offense to anyone.

Yours in Christ:
    Avvaantoni
  • [glow=red,2,300]In the Name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. The One True God. Amen. [/glow]

Cookie... this is a very good place to ask this very important question. Let me share a response concerning a related topic from a previous thread:

There's a great trend of neo- gnosticism popping up these days. Many people today are very ignorant of Church history and very distrustful of Objective Truth that everything seems to them to be a conspiricy! Many people either havet read the bible enuff or havent read it at all or havent been grounded in Christ too separate the wheat from the chaff. The gnostics were the old rivals of the early Christian Church . They were the ones who wrote these false "gospels" like the "Gospel of Thomas" and the "Gospel of Mary Magdalene" and hundreds of others. They had to give their works Apostolic names to give them credence and authority.

The Gnostics were different churches who disagreed with the Apostles, claiming to have "secret knowledge" That Our Lord Jesus passed down only to them and not to the Holy Apostles! Meanwhile if we read the book of Acts we see the Apostles preaching publicly the Good News. The Gnostics claimed matter was evil and the spirit alone was good. Thus the spirit had to be liberated from the body. Well, this created some very immoral behaviours on their part since the body was insignificant acoording to them ( its matter right?). The Holy Apostles lived chastely and preached that God became man because He so loved the world (John 3:16...my paraphrase). They aslo said there were 2 gods: the Old testament God who was an angry God and the New testament God who was the God of Love. The Holy Apostles taught there was ONE God in Three Persons ( Holy Trinity).

Since there's great spiritual starvation in today's world people pick up anything that seem like a novelty. The Orthodox Gospel is a cliche to them, overdone....and badly represented by hypocrites and pedophiles. The devil is having a field day here but we must trust in Rabena!!! The davinci code is a neo gnostic work of fiction with many historical distortions. One author called it "faction"...lol!

The late, great Russian Orthodox Metropolitan nathony Bloom once wrote that Christians have 3rd dimensional vision (faith) while everyone else has 2nd dimensional vision. Of course, those with 2nd dimensional vision will not understand what we Christians see and thus encounter persecution. A Desert Father once said:

"Abba Antonios said: ?The time is coming when people will be seized by manias and will behave like madmen. And if they see anyone acting reasonably, they will rise up against him saying: ?You are insane.? And they will have accurately said this to him, for he will not be like them.?

Let us watch and trust in our Loving God!!!
  • Good question. This is a very dangerous book. And its been on the NY Times best seller list for a very long time.

The book is a fiction. It is dangerous because it mixes in fact with fiction, and you cannot tell where one starts and the other begins. This is the worst kind because it makes you "think." By that I mean, I've had people say, "well, it makes you think how some things are possible." It makes you believe the possibility of the fallacies in there because it mixes teh fact and the fiction.

Satan is an EXPERT at this tactic. He used with with Jesus himself when he was fasting on the mountain, mixing the fact of the scriptures and twisting the interpretation around.

The book, makes you have a little tiny bit of doubt in the back of your mind, because of the way it is written.

However, that being said, for some people it is important to be educated in the things that people believe. There are many books out there that refute "The DaVinci Code" and point out all teh fallacies and lies. If you feel compelled to read the book, read it alongside one of these books that tell the truth about it, as copticchris suggested in an earlier post. Otherwise it creates doubt...and the tiniest seed of doubt can shake your foundations.

This is a very dangerous phenomena that is sweeping the country...one of the most dangerous I've seen because it appears in such an innocent form...a novel read for fun, read by many who do not know Christ very well.
  • wow this is a good question i was acctually thinking about reading the book, i have heard that it was really good and i read alot so i thought i think i should read it get and idea what its about. But i am not so sure now, i mean of course we have to be aware of what is being said and so on but we also musnt not put ourselvs in a situation that my cause us to doubt or lose faith i think the best thing to do is talk to your father of confession and see what he says.
    May God always stand by us and give us the strenght to withstand temptation.

Maria
  • The problem with this book is that people have read it and elevated to the level of the fifth gospel, when in fact it is trash.

It is part of the three-prong attack of Satan to have the faithful stray and leave the fold of their Master.

The three-prong attack is in the form of:
    a) the violent persecution--the sword of the enemy
    b) the laxity of secularism
    c) the heresy and deceitful teachings.

Each has their hook into the being of the person. In the regard of secularism and heresy, the are no different than the lure that a fisher uses. When a person bites into it the hook engages and death ensues. The violent attack is like the spear coming straight for the snag.

Instead of reading it, read the Bible--I recommend it. It's good stuff.

It is said of St. (Bishop) Abraam of the Fayyum (of the modern era) that he used to read the entire text of the Holy Scriptures every 40 days. When you have full breadth from its teachings, then one may proceed and do a comparative analysis.

BTW the author has made a lot of money from people's stupidity. I don't think there have been too many charitable contributions as the disclosure on taxes have shown.