Muslim Hegab

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Why do some muslims wear the hegab and others don't?

Comments

• All women used to cover their heads. In my lifetime (and admittedly I am fairly ancient) an older woman would not be seen out of doors without a hat or scarf. So covering up is fairly traditional with many cultures.

Why Muslim women should nearly universally wear hijab is a mystery. Walking around the part of London in which I live every other woman seems to be 'hijabbed' up.If you see old newsreels from the fifties from Muslim countries like Egypt and Iraq you will notice that most younger women do not have their heads covered. What has caused the change may be to do with the changing values in the west since the 1960s. I would like to know.

I personally think Christian women should begin to return to a more modest appearance. You don't need to look like a peasant, if that's what you object to, but some women seem unaware as to how they look can create perturbations in the male sex.
  • they are supposed to. it depends on how liberal the family is. If you're talking about what their religion commands though, they are explicitly commanded to wear it. If they dont they're breaking the rules.

its like how the church explicitly tells us to fast wed and fri, and its part of the church teachings, and technically, you're breaking church law if you don't...but still, lots of copts don't.
  • girls are forced to obey their parents until they are of age....16 yrs old (i think). 
  • but I see girls in my high school who are muslim but dont wear it.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10586.msg128926#msg128926 date=1296422400]
    but I see girls in my high school who are muslim but dont wear it.

well than their parnets don't force them to.