The Creation Story

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i really want to know u guys perspective on how science state the the creation story was not real, and explain it by evolution, how we think it is real, an i personally think it is real, and how chatloics believe both

thanks again

gb

Comments

• Mr. Coptic Orthodox,
    I personaly do NOT believe the whole theory of evolution. I resent the fact that I am the decendent of monkeys. How can I be the son of God an the son of a monkey? doesn't make sense.
    Also, I don't believe that I need sience to prove the Bible for me. What is written in the Bible is 100% correct. If science so happens to conincide with it, that is great, if not, then who cares.
    Finally, I was talking with someone about that topic and scientests these days when faced with something they can't answer blame it on Nature so they don't say "God" like it is illigal. So, I guess they have proven the Bible anyway.
    just my 2 cents
  • Well...I am sure all of us believe that God created us in the way we are now....I personally don't believe in evolution and we will never do...eventhough i am a bio major and tht's wut i mostly study abt :-\...but EVOLUTION IS WRONG.
    About how catholics believe in both...I heard once that some people believe that yeah God created us...but species change overtime, and there is still a continuous change in species...I am not sure if that includes humans...but that's how I think catholics believe in both...But again Evoltuion is wrong...and God created us from the beginning as humans in His image as stated in the bible.
    God Bless,
    Marianne
  • i totally agree with u coptic boy, the monkey might some sense, but God doesn't created monkeys and let them transform to humans all of a sudden.
  • good to see us copts believe in God's Creation, i need some cathloics here to answer
  • evolution doesn't contradict the creation story at all, in fact it's not a coincidence that scientist believe life started in the water and the bible says Life was created in the sea first, before the life on land...
    the only thing we don't believe is that we origin from monkeys, and this part specifically has not been proven, the so called "missing link" between the homo sapiens and the "intelligent' monkeys has not been found, and of course it will never be found lol

check out the following sermons; they are excellent concerning evolution and science etc:

http://www.coptichymns.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sermons&file=index&q=f&f=/English/_Hegomen_Fr_Athanasius_Iskander/Science_Creation_Bangs_and_Booms
  • actually hos erof, i was listening to this topic today, and come on they said that we evovled from cells, or amphibians. Come on!

also they say we only was here in the past 100 million years AFTER animals and dinosaurs and cells and fish and all that stuff
  • they say life evolved and it became more complex over time, so this means that the apes from which we come (according to "scientists"), came from less developed life and eventually it goes back to the single cells.
    However this doesn't prove the bible wrong, the way life evolved from water to land to flying animals, is the way it's portrayed in the bible. It doesn't matter for us how it was created, the point is that God created it, and maybe he created the first life and it evolved, nothing wrong with that in my opinion.
    The only point on which we differ is the evolution or creation of man. We believe man has a spirit, something that the animals don't share with us, so it's impossible for us to evolve from other animals...
  • good point hos erof, but yes the ape thing does bother me much:
  • The Bible says," that with God one day is as a thousand years".In other words God is on a different timetable,different,seperate from us.Actually God is not bound by the time/space continuem but is above all created matter, natural laws of the universe,physics ,etc.He is the life,the time,the space,the purpose,the all in all.He is the Law of the Universe,a law unto Himself.He speaks and thus it is done.

So when it says that God created the world in six days some people believe that each day could have been a million years,etc., since with God time is meaningless and immaterial.Thus they believe that the evolutionary process could have developed during these "6 days" without violating the veracity and accurracy of the Biblical account.
    While certainly possible,there is much "scientific evidence suggesting the earth is not old at all,less than 20,000 years in fact.I dont believe carbon dating is really that accurate but rather is a "scientific" lie foisted upon the general public in the hope of making men doubt the truthfullness of Gods Holy Word.There are plenty of examples where carbon dating{as well as other forms of age verification}have failed and been completely unreliable.Since I know God lives,is totally truthful and righteous{He cannot lie}I believe what the Holy Bible,His God breathed Word,says about creation.I trust the Creator and His Word over that of the so called "scientists",fallible,created beings.
  • Yes.... I agree with the theory of evolution.... and the bible... look at what scientists are saying... and look at what the bible said.... for example, they say the earth was present for millions of years... okay, The seven days, were a very long time.... man didn’t live on earth right away... which matches what they say, dinosaurs were alone... no humans yet.... how long did Adam and eve stay in the Garden, that was a LONG time... other animals through this time evolved, and were made.... then man was kicked out of the Garden... which matches what they say.... HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? There must be a missing link, we are linked to the closest animal, which a monkey or a chimpanzee, but really the missing link is their knowledge to GOD.... so if they choose to open the bible, its a whole different story, because in their the true story.... and the scientists, are taking bits and pieces of it.... but in the end the Bible is the right CREATION.
  • "So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female." Gen. 1:27

Two questions that disprove evolution:
    1) Was God a monkey?
    2) Were Adam and Eve apes who actually FELT their
    nakedness?

I think not ::)
  • I think you should listen to that sermon
  • wow i never knew these wud be the output!!
  • Two questions that disprove evolution:
    1) Was God a monkey?
    2) Were Adam and Eve apes who actually FELT their
    nakedness?

Yes,but what if you dont believe in the Bible but actually think it's a bunch of fairytales?Thats what most scientists believe.They'll just tell you there is no God and the Bible isnt true.

You can give a person much scientific evidence{creationism}that disproves evolution. Evidence that proves the Bible is true. Evidence for the existence of a Creator,for God.But until they come to Christ Jesus in repentance and faith,accepting God into their hearts;they will never come to a full knowledge of the truth.The truth about themselves;who they are,and where their going.The meaning of Life. God be praised forever!
  • Another point I've heard before and that I liked very much: scientists can always explain what happened with the creation of the Earth, they'll say so and so descended from so and so, and and the seas were created by the separation of the continents, and the Earth was formed by the Big Bang along with the Solar System etc etc....they go up all the way to the Big Bang...but where did the Big Bang originate from? Who started the whole thing? There must have been a Superior Being that initiated the whole thing, because if not, the whole theory is clearly flawed. They feel that they don't have to justify their explanation, but it makes no sense that something is just spontaneous and boom, a HUGE explosion happens out of the blue. common, gimme a break.
  • Dany,
    Whenver a scientiest is cornered with a question like yours, they blame it on "Nature" and the argument is, who Made "nature" what is "nature"?
    and bishoy, The Garden of Eden WAS on earth. Man lived on Earth from the moment of his creation. Just a thought.
  • [quote author=dany link=board=1;threadid=1056;start=15#msg17920 date=1105443077]
    Another point I've heard before and that I liked very much: scientists can always explain what happened with the creation of the Earth, they'll say so and so descended from so and so, and and the seas were created by the separation of the continents, and the Earth was formed by the Big Bang along with the Solar System etc etc....they go up all the way to the Big Bang...but where did the Big Bang originate from? Who started the whole thing? There must have been a Superior Being that initiated the whole thing, because if not, the whole theory is clearly flawed. They feel that they don't have to justify their explanation, but it makes no sense that something is just spontaneous and boom, a HUGE explosion happens out of the blue. common, gimme a break.

theoratically speaking, it's possible for energy to change into matter, according to the famous formula of Einstein...E=mc2

so, basically if u have a lot of energy, this could cause the existence of the quarks or whatever these parts are named lol, these form the different parts of the atoms, and these cause the existing of atoms...anywayz, so the problem with the big bang is that u may wonder where the energy came from...so even if there was some kind of big bang, maybe it was the Word of God when he said"Let there be light"...who knows??? It doesn't matter how the universe was created though...

people always take the first part of Genesis as a technical explanation of how the universe and man were created, while they miss the most important point, which is that Genesis points out that there is a God, and that by His will all this came to existence including man...
  • the church does agree w creation and the big bang bc its not bad or contradicting but the evolution is wrong.

there is no way that a watch can turn into a human if enough time passes, to say that things change after time is ok when it comes to skin, hair or height, but to create a human being thats so complex from a monkey?

no...