Fr. Peter video sermon

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
For those who are interested...

There is a 20 minute talk I gave at an ecumenical celebration of Evening Incense at one of our BOC Churches on Saturday. I spoke about the Orthodox teaching on baptism. You can't say much in 20 minutes!

and

At least you get to see what I look like! That may put many of you off.

Father Peter

Comments

• I can't get over that accent.

Can you give your next sermon in an American accent? It will help me to stay focused.

PS You look exactly like your avatar.. I don't see why that would put people off? lol
  • How come in the end you didn't mention the Son when concluding? Also, you signed the Cross from right to left, why?
  • Do BOC priests shave their beards? I know a priest who got ordained last year and his beard is already 4 inches.. then again I know a monk who has only 3 hairs on his chin.

I think I'm done with my random, pointless questions for now. I'll let you know when I think of any others.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10533.msg127982#msg127982 date=1295898128]
    I can't get over that accent.

Can you give your next sermon in an American accent? It will help me to stay focused.

PS You look exactly like your avatar.. I don't see why that would put people off? lol

what's wrong with the accent......i understand every word...

i am actually very fond of english accent.....

[quote author=TITL link=topic=10533.msg127984#msg127984 date=1295898505]
    How come in the end you didn't mention the Son when concluding? Also, you signed the Cross from right to left, why?

he said "to HIM be the glory with the Father and the Son..."
    abouna was already talking about the Son when he was concluding.
  • There's nothing wrong with the accent. I understand his sermon; I just can't stay focused because the accent distracts me.

That's not what he said. He said "to Him be the Glory with the Father and the Holy Spirit, Amen."
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10533.msg127989#msg127989 date=1295899139]

That's not what he said. He said "to Him be the Glory with the Father and the Holy Spirit, Amen."

oh.....well that's what i meant....
  • HIM is the son. Yes, Fr Peter crossed from right to left ,maybe to demonstrate to those who were present that it is no an issue.

I thought I was listening to BBC world service.If you travel to some parts of the UK, you will need a translator.
  • Well, I was talking about God the Son, so I added the reference to God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. That is normal. Anything which is addressed to one of the Persons of the Holy Trinity could be and often is ended in such a way.

I don't have a long beard because I have to work for a living and visit clients who expect me to dress and appear in a businesslike manner.

I can't help my accent. Indeed I am proud of it.

Father Peter
  • great video!
    and you can see abba seraphim in the bottom left hand corner as well  :)

he has an awesome british accent as well!
    :D
    lol
  • I don't have a long beard because I have to work for a living and visit clients who expect me to dress and appear in a businesslike manner.

That's interesting; I didn't know priests can have jobs.

Thanks for answering my questions :)

Mabsoota, do you have an English accent as well?
  • Since I receive no income from the Church I either have to work like St Paul or abandon the mission to bring Orthodoxy to British people.

Which is best?

Father Peter
  • Lol you're funny.

For some reason I thought priests get paid for being... priests.
  • Again with my wo, wo, wo, wo, wo!
    Priests don't get paid? They have to work an extra job?
    That sounds wierd. So, with all due respect, what does Fr. Peter work as?
    In the video, anba is wearing the taylasana (golden thing going down his "tonia")
    while abouna Peter is just wearing black. What is this service?
    GB, PFM,
    Cyril
  • What does it matter what I do? I work hard so that there are British priests who are sharing Orthodoxy with British people.

The service was an evening raising of incense. Lots of visitors from other non-orthodox churches had been invited.

Father Peter
  • I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry.
    Why then was Sayedna wearing a taylasana and you weren't?
    Cyril
  • in the british orthodox church they mostly have other jobs as well, as they are mostly missionaries.
    also most people in britain have british accents, others have egyptian, sudanese accents...
    lol
  • But that is only in the British Orthodox Church right?
    How about the North American "Church" do priest have jobs there?
    I don't recall any priest from my church going to work other than liturgies, asheyas, weddings...
    Cyril
  • [quote author=Cyril97 link=topic=10533.msg128101#msg128101 date=1295988616]
    But that is only in the British Orthodox Church right?
    How about the North American "Church" do priest have jobs there?
    I don't recall any priest from my church going to work other than liturgies, asheyas, weddings...
    Cyril

becuase they don't neeeed to....they get payed by the Church.

there are priests in the deep south "Se'eed" that do work. there used to be many a long time ago.