are they even martyrs????

edited January 2011 in Faith Issues
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• We discussed this before in previous threads. They are martyrs. If one were to die in the Name of the Lord, they would be counted with the martyrs in heaven. There are no exceptions for Orthodox Christians.

If you were to die right now for Christ's sake, you would be considered a martyr. It has nothing to do with spiritual level, unless you have denied God completely in your life.

• I thought if you died WILLINGLY for the name of Jesus you were considered a martyr. WHat if you really didnt want to die in the name of Jesus but they killed you anyway because u were christian? I dont think the same crown is given to a person who doesnt want to die for Jesus but dies anyways, and a person who willingly and proudly dies for Jesus.
  • Meena_Ameen,

What you're saying makes sense to me, but that's not what I was taught. I may have been miseducated.
  • I guess we wont know for sure till we get there... either way, we should always be ready at anytime to willingly give ourself for Jesus' sake, since he didnt hesitate to give himself for our sake.
  • Meena, Amen.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wouldn't their willingness to go to liturgy in the face of sustained threats indicate their commitment to Christ, even if they (as a general principle) did not want to die?
  • From what I heard, that church already had threats. If you go to church, knowing that there are threats,
    I think that, and this could just be me, be willing/expecting to die.
    They could of when to any other church in Alexandria but they still chose to go to the kideseen church.
    I know that they didn't necessarily witness to Christ but they died in his name.
    This is the biggest controversy in my house, and in my church.
    I strongly believe, that they ARE martyrs.
    I guess we will find out soon enough...
    Cyril