I am not sure what God wants me to do

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I have no idea what God wants me to do with my future. I am in High School now and my plan is to be an Orthopedic Surgeon (feel free to comment on that also). I feel like this is too ambitious though and I do not know if God wants me to study in that direction. How do I figure out what God wants me to do?

Comments

• I had this same problem, and recently i talked to someone about it and he told me basically to always have an open mind. Having "plans" for your future provide limitations. Just walk life free and pray that God will guide you, and as He opens doors for you you will find your path.

Pray for me,

Chris
  • God blessed you with some natural talents, abilities, intelligence, and interests. Do your goals fit with these? For me, it took about 6 years after high school to finally understand what I should do. So you're way ahead of me, at least!  ;D (And probably lots of other people, too.)

Just never give up hope that you will figure it out, because God already has. He has always known His plan for you, and He will guide you to it and in it. What you have to do is trust in Him at all times, even when you think He's taking too long to answer you, or His plan is confusing, or maybe it's not what you would have chosen for yourself. It can be very hard to do, but it is always the right thing to do.

If you need help to do this, pray the Psalms. They speak for and to all of us who feel this way.

"The LORD will fulfill [his purpose] for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever--do not abandon the works of your hands." {138:8}

"Your hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn your commandments." {119:73}

• [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=10466.msg127140#msg127140 date=1295163395]
    God blessed you with some natural talents, abilities, intelligence, and interests. Do your goals fit with these? For me, it took about 6 years after high school to finally understand what I should do. So you're way ahead of me, at least!  ;D (And probably lots of other people, too.)

Just never give up hope that you will figure it out, because God already has. He has always known His plan for you, and He will guide you to it and in it. What you have to do is trust in Him at all times, even when you think He's taking too long to answer you, or His plan is confusing, or maybe it's not what you would have chosen for yourself. It can be very hard to do, but it is always the right thing to do.

If you need help to do this, pray the Psalms. They speak for and to all of us who feel this way.

"The LORD will fulfill [his purpose] for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever--do not abandon the works of your hands." {138:8}

"Your hands have made me and fashioned me: give me understanding, that I may learn your commandments." {119:73}

thanks for your wisdom guys.  the thing is i dont want to be the foolish college kid who changes his major and study four times. i hear about so many people in my church  who changed their major when they were about to graduate because they finally figured out that they hated it. i do not want to be like them and i want to be on God's path from the beginning.
  • What do you enjoy doing, and what do you think you would enjoy doing?

Do YOU want to be an orthopaedic surgeon?

How would you give a year of your life in service to God and others?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10466.msg127161#msg127161 date=1295205225]
    What do you enjoy doing, and what do you think you would enjoy doing?

Do YOU want to be an orthopaedic surgeon?

How would you give a year of your life in service to God and others?

Father Peter

Yes i am the one who wants to be the orthopedic. its just usually what we want is not what God wants and that is what i am not sure about.
  • Why do you think that what we want is not what God wants?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10466.msg127169#msg127169 date=1295209204]
    Why do you think that what we want is not what God wants?

Father Peter

I am actually having a similar problem to this but my vision is clearer about God's plan due to extensive reading of the Bible. But how do I know that what I want is what God wants?
  • First, we must abandon all plans to God.

If we are not able to pray from the heart, 'I offer this dream to you, and if it is not your will for me then I will gladly abandon it for your sake and my salvation', then it is something that WE want to do irrespective of what God wills for us.

We must learn to trust God so that we can pray this for every situation, and every hope and aspiration.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10466.msg127222#msg127222 date=1295250278]
    First, we must abandon all plans to God.

If we are not able to pray from the heart, 'I offer this dream to you, and if it is not your will for me then I will gladly abandon it for your sake and my salvation', then it is something that WE want to do irrespective of what God wills for us.

We must learn to trust God so that we can pray this for every situation, and every hope and aspiration.

Father Peter

But Fr. Peter, I don't have any plans, I've pissed off my plans months ago, and I just let everything flow the way God wants the day to Happen. How do I know what to do, what actions to take, to go according to God's plan? How about who to meet, what to say, where to go? Etc.
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10466.msg127285#msg127285 date=1295317738]
    [quote author=Abanoub. link=topic=10466.msg127281#msg127281 date=1295315971]
    [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10466.msg127222#msg127222 date=1295250278]
    First, we must abandon all plans to God.

Father Peter

Really, I have figured out so much by praying and reading the bible, but I still have so many questions, when some questions are answered, more are asked. I want to know so much about the future.

But Fr. Peter, I don't have any plans, I've pissed off my plans months ago, and I just let everything flow the way God wants the day to Happen. How do I know what to do, what actions to take, to go according to God's plan? How about who to meet, what to say, where to go? Etc.

God gave you a brain to use and gave you free will...while you should submit to His will, that does not mean that you don't use the intellect God gave you to choose wisely in situations in life.  If you truly read the Bible and pray sincerely, you will be able to discern God's will in your life, it will be very clear.  The more you read the Bible and pray, the clearer the Lord's voice will be to you and your intellect and reasoning will fall in line with God's commandments and wishes.

This is what I have been taught...hope that helps.  Pray for me.