Pope Shenouda last pope?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Tamav ireeny and many monks have said that Pope Shenouda will be the last pope. Is this true, now i know all of you didn't have visions from God so there is no way to know for sure (same with me), i guess i am just curious about your opinions and thoughts about this.

Comments

• By saying "last pope", they are either predicting the end of the world or the end of the world.

No one can predict the end of the world.

• Is this documented somewhere?

Which monks have put forward this idea?

• This is what i have been hearing, i don't know which monks, i know that it is the end of the world prediction, that is why i am asking if this is credible, valid or not valid. Technically, they are saying no more popes after Pope Shenouda III, not the end of the world, i am confused.
  • I have never heard that before and I doubt its credibility. The Church can't be without a pope, so if you say that then it implies the end of the world is soon or the end of the Coptic Church. It can't be the end of the world because we all know, "of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father" (Mark 13:32). When Jesus said "nor the Son" it was to say that he cannot reveal it to anyone and also that no one should ask. It also can't be the end of the Coptic Church because we have a promise: "on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it" (Matthew 16:18). Our Church is built on Christ the rock and it will never be moved forever.
  • I think the saying is "we wish he's the last Pope" as one of the bishops, can't rmember who, cried out in the middle of the celebration of the Pope's enthronement last year "we wish that Pope Shenouda would be the one to hand the Church to Christ."