The Holy Spirit

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The concept of the Trinity is confusing to me. I was reading an article on the differences and similarities of the three Christian traditions: Orthodox, Protestant, and Roman Catholic and I agreed and understood all the topics except the Holy Spirit.

Here is what they said:

The Orthodox believe the third person of the Trinity, proceeding from the Father alone as in the original Nicene Creed. The Father sends the Spirit at the intercession of the Son. The Son is therefore an agent only in the procession of the Spirit.
The Protestants believe the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son. The Nicene creed includes the 'filioque' (Latin: 'and the son').
The Catholics agree with the Protestant view.

Can someone explain and confirm?

Thanks.

Comments

• How about I simplify the question, instead of explaining, can someone just confirm? I just want a simple yes or no.
  • Yes, we don't believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son. We believe, He proceeds from just the Father.
  • Yes, we believe in the Holy Spirit... Who proceeds from the Father :)

Thank you!
  • It is more accurate to say that the Protestants agree with the Catholic position since they adopted it from Augustine of Hippo very early on. 1000 years in fact before there were ant Protestants.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10290.msg125896#msg125896 date=1293822227]
    It is more accurate to say that the Protestants agree with the Catholic position since they adopted it from Augustine of Hippo very early on. 1000 years in fact before there were ant Protestants.

Father Peter

Yes the Orthodox and Catholics Creed did not include the Son, but was later added by the catholics without the approval or an Ecumenical Council which formed the schism between the Eastern Orthodox and the Catholics.  Since the Protestants divided from the catholics later on they also adopted their heracy.

(also, Fr. Peter I think you forgot an R in your sig :) just letting you know)

And I think part of the problem in our church (the whole church, not just Coptic or orthodox) is we have a weak definition of who the Son is. 

For example the Word of God (Logos), we call Him "the Son" but was He called the "Son" prior to his incarnation? Or was He just called the "Logos" , and Son after He took flesh.

Because if they say the H.S proceeds from the Son.. doesn't that also mean that the Holy Spirit proceed from humanity since Christ is both Divine and Human? and that puts them in a bad situation because thats making the H.S not God.
  • Dear brother Pharaoh,

I would not say that we have a "weak definition of who the Son is." While this is true to the extent that knowledge of God is limited to what it is that has been revealed to mankind, this does not mean that we are lacking in knowledge that addresses some very fundamental thoughts on the identity of the Logos, including the points that you mentioned in your example. This particular topic was addressed several times by our most revered Church Fathers, and the information for this particular topic is readily available in their writings. A somewhat objective, historical presentation of the development of the doctrines concerning this is summarized well in JND Kelly's "Early Christian Doctrines" (though not an Orthodox writer, the Fathers are presented in a more or less objective manner).

Pray for my weaknesses,
    childoforthodoxy