Correct Coptic Pronunciation.. Epi-eprosevkees- stasi te

2»

Comments

• thank you ophadece, your explanation was nicely put... things make sense now.

What your saying is logical and sounds right, but sadly alot of deacons in my church still just sing psalm 150 and begin chanting the all these arabic melodies/hymns.

PPFM
  • So, would it be:  proseveksaste, prosevekhsaste, proseveshsaste?

I think this brings the whole conjugation issue into another thought for a related word?
  • The correct Coptic pronunciation would either be /broseweksasta/ or /brosewesh-sasta/  don't understand what you meant by conjugation ilovesaintmark
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=10167.msg124913#msg124913 date=1292742694]
    The correct Coptic pronunciation would either be /broseweksasta/ or /brosewesh-sasta/  don't understand what you meant by conjugation ilovesaintmark

but it's not coptic!!!!
  • Dear Mina,
    That point may entail several pages on debating, but I will say my understanding (and what I believe to be the correct teaching) in a nut-shell. As a rule of thumb: GREEK LOAN WORDS WERE IMPARTED COPTIC PRONUNCIATION IRRESPECTIVE OF WHEN THEY WERE ADOPTED. The Copts, or no other nation for that matter could pronounce one letter one way, and another way in loan words: as examples, take the words burka /b3rka/ instead of /borko'/, and fillet /filet/ rather than /filei/.
    For Greek loan words, the famous examples are: [coptic],ere[/coptic] /shara/ rather than /khara/ - [coptic]diakwn[/coptic] /diakon/ rather than /thiakon/ [coptic];eotokoc[/coptic] /taodokos/ rather than /theotokos/ ... etc. The problem arose when Mr. Erian Guirguis was given the job of "rectifying" mistakenly the pronunciation of Coptic as a whole in the 1850's when Coptic tongue was already weak, and of course later the name was given "Greco-Bohairic" when no solid defence could have been given to the western-sounding language.
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]