Providence

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Reading Fr Peter on the subject of talents made me realise how little I do in Christ's name and how I need to start before it's too late.

I am writing a paper on the subject of Providence, Fate and Luck. Serious religious belief must belief in the providence of God. For example; the woman I am married to is given to me by the Lord and I cannot entertain the belief that she is 'wrong' and that I need another woman. It wasn't my bad luck not to be with some other woman I might hanker after.

If any readers have resources or experiences connected with this subject or can direct me to relevant resources I shall be very grateful.

May God bless you.

Comments

• What you are saying implies that everything that happens to us is according to God's will..

But I think there is a distinction we have to make:
    according to God's will could mean that this is actually the best thing for you, because it's what He wills
    but it could mean, something that God allows to happen, even though it is not His will, in the sence that it's the best thing for you

example: a man was desperate to get out of Egypt and immigrate to Europe, he tried to get a Visa many times, but was always refused, when he asked his priest about the situation, the latter told him: maybe it's just not God's will that you travel, the man refused to believe so and in the end he succeded in going to Europe (one way or another) and after a couple of miserable months there, he decided to return...

moral of the story: if the man had said, while in Europe, "oh, well, if God allowed me to travel here, then it must be His well that I continue to be miserable and humiliated and just stay" I don't believe it would be the right way to think..

In my personal experience, I had a hard time figuring out what God wanted for me at a certain point in my life, and I mean a very hard time, but in the end, it turned out to be very simple: if you are close to God, living with Him, consulting Him everyday in your prayers, trusting that He is the one in charge and thus sincerely surrendering your will to him when saying: May Your will be done..
    then His guidance will be clear, you will feel it in your heart - the heart which belongs to Him and is filled with His love- what He wants for you, He will not cheat you or deceive you and if you trust in Him, He would not let you fall...

and if, for any reason, like for instance, in the example of the man mentioned above, you did do someting that was contrary to his will, He may allow it to teach you a lesson.. but then it's important not to 'blame' God for the consequences..

Another small example: student who doesn't study and then fails exams, can't say, well, it's God's will that I fail..

My two cents.. I think this is an interesting subject, so good 'luck' with your research!
  • [quote author=Truthsetsfree link=topic=10094.msg123421#msg123421 date=1291457395]
    What you are saying implies that everything that happens to us is according to God's will..

But I think there is a distinction we have to make:
    according to God's will could mean that this is actually the best thing for you, because it's what He wills
    but it could mean, something that God allows to happen, even though it is not His will, in the sence that it's the best thing for you

example: a man was desperate to get out of Egypt and immigrate to Europe, he tried to get a Visa many times, but was always refused, when he asked his priest about the situation, the latter told him: maybe it's just not God's will that you travel, the man refused to believe so and in the end he succeded in going to Europe (one way or another) and after a couple of miserable months there, he decided to return...

moral of the story: if the man had said, while in Europe, "oh, well, if God allowed me to travel here, then it must be His well that I continue to be miserable and humiliated and just stay" I don't believe it would be the right way to think..

In my personal experience, I had a hard time figuring out what God wanted for me at a certain point in my life, and I mean a very hard time, but in the end, it turned out to be very simple: if you are close to God, living with Him, consulting Him everyday in your prayers, trusting that He is the one in charge and thus sincerely surrendering your will to him when saying: May Your will be done..
    then His guidance will be clear, you will feel it in your heart - the heart which belongs to Him and is filled with His love- what He wants for you, He will not cheat you or deceive you and if you trust in Him, He would not let you fall...

and if, for any reason, like for instance, in the example of the man mentioned above, you did do someting that was contrary to his will, He may allow it to teach you a lesson.. but then it's important not to 'blame' God for the consequences..

Another small example: student who doesn't study and then fails exams, can't say, well, it's God's will that I fail..

My two cents.. I think this is an interesting subject, so good 'luck' with your research!

Cracking post, very well put  :D
  • Salam we na3ma, about providence..watch this: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%D8%AA%D8%AF%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%B1%D9%83+%D9%81%D8%A7%D9%82+%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D9%82%D9%88%D9%84&aq=0
    This is are a few episodes of the programm "tadbierak fa2 el 3e2oel" (Your providence surpasses reasoning" from
    CTV, I really benefit a lot from it and his story's are so impressing! :)

GB