Wisdom of Sirach ch. 8

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Well. I have questions about to verses in this chapter.

" do not lend to a man stronger than you, but if you do expect nothing back"

Doesn't the bible tell us that we should give to everyone who asks?

Also,

" do not uncover your heart(or something like that) to people unless unkindness is shown to you."

What does this mean. I appreciate your help.

Comments

• I think it might be a bit different because its old testament teachings,
    not sure about the other part though sorry.
  • i think you need to read this in context...i think, as i may remember, most of these verses are some rules that a father is putting to his son.

very similar to Proverbs..... they are proverbs/examples/life experiences that can't be taken literally.
  • so i shouldn't lend to a man stronger than me? and i should uncover my heart to people who are unkind to me? because in both cases those are a lot of people. I don't think i was clear in my first post sorry, i meant to say what can i learn from this, is there a special meaning or is it just what it says? Thank you for your replies.
  • i still don't understand what this means
  • The Wisdom of Sirach falls into a category of scripture that is known as Wisdom. It contains on one level that which is practical advice, and on another level that which is spiritual advice.

In regard to the verses you mention. Our Lord does teach us to give to those who ask, but clearly this is hedged about by other reasonable conditions as well. In the cases which our Lord describes, that of a beggar and that of a Roman soldier, both have a natural claim to us. But not every one we meet in the street is a beggar in the sense in which a person begged in the time of Christ. Here in the UK there is virtually no need for anyone to beg, and those who beg do so often because they have chosen a particular way of life, or have mental and addictive problems. Those who will spend any money given them on alcohol are not blessed by such charity. So reason and common sense must also be applied. Most of the money I earn does not belong to me either. It already belongs to the bank, or to various utility companies with whom I have entered into a contract. These are not excuses for not helping the poor and needy, but I am just trying to show that unless we have clear guidance to the contrary then we live out the commandments within a wider framework.

"Go, sell all that you have, give to the poor, and come follow me", has been taken literally and heroically by many saints, but the Church has never said that this is an absolute command that all must follow. Nevertheless there is a spiritual sense, which is no less real and true, that we must abandon our attachments to all earthly things if we wish to follow Christ. Indeed it is possible to really sell all and not follow Christ, as well as to spiritually sell all and truly follow Christ.

But in Sirach 8 v15.

Sirach 8:15  Lend not to a man that is mightier than thyself: and if thou lendest, count it as lost.

It is common sense, especially in the period before banks, when all lending was personal. If you lent money to a great man then you should assume you would never see it again. Even here in the UK in the last centuries, it was the rich who never paid their bills, and if a tradesman extended credit to a rich person they usually ended up not being paid.

For me, a/the spiritual meaning is that if we lend our spiritual wealth (which we considered in the thread on talents) to Satan, who is described as a strong man by Christ in His teaching, then we will not be likely to be able to recover it. And we lend our spiritual wealth to Satan when we spend our lives knowingly or unknowingly in his service, and building his demonic kingdom. The days and weeks and years we lend to him will not easily be recovered. The time and attention we spend on his purposes will not easily be regained.

Sirach 8:22  Open not thy heart to every man: lest he repay thee with an evil turn, and speak reproachfully to thee.

Is also common sense. Don't share your innermost thoughts with just anyone. You don't know how they might use that information against you. You don't know if they wish you harm. There are people who find it impossible to be discrete. They trust everyone, but not everyone is worthy of that trust. The innermost dealings of the heart with God are a precious treasure, and should not be cast before swine.

I think you have misunderstood this last verse. It does not say that we should open our hearts to an unkind person, but that we should not open our hearts too easily and to everyone because they may indeed treat us unkindly.

I hope some of this helps, I didn't want your thread just sitting there.

Father Peter
  • Thank you Father Peter this makes a lot of sense now.