Genealogy of Christ

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
The genealogy of Jesus is really confusing. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are obviously the founding fathers, no questions there, but then I’d imagine the genealogy would continue to Joseph, but it doesn’t; it leads to Judah, which I think is very weird. Judah is the brother that proposed to sell Joseph to the Ishmaelites. He isn’t even the eldest son; Rueben is. Then it gets even more confusing. Judah got 3 sons, the first two died after marrying the same girl, then a few years later, he (Judah) ran into the same girl, didn't recognize her, and committed adultery with her. Then the genealogy continues from there until Jesus. First of all, why wasn't Joseph chosen (or even Rueben) Why Judah? Jesus came from the sin of adultery, why?

Comments

• All have sinned, all have fallen short of the glory of God.

This is the story of God's love and mercy. He, the sinless and holy One, is born of a line of sinful and weak men and women. We don't only need to consider Judah. We can see that almost all those in the lineage of mankind have gross sins which might prevent them being associated with God in any way, but still, He chooses to be one of us, and part of our human family.
  • That is exactly what my parents told me!!

Thank you Father Peter :-)
  • Lol! I am glad to have posted in agreement with your parents.
  • The story of Ruth, the Moabite, falls within the same aspects of Fr. Peter's comments.  Ruth, being a gentile and a Moabite, becomes an ancestor David the King and Prophet, from whose lineage the Son of Man, Who is the Son of God to take flesh for us.

• My parent's brought up her example too.

Maybe I shouldn't post my questions on Tasbeha since I'm getting the same answers at home.
  • Sounds like you have wise parents.
  • lol! You should post your parent's answers and we can just say that we agree.