Should I pray for his return or just let him go

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
My boyfriend left me two months ago,he was born in Egypt,lives in Australia now.He is a Chritian of Coptice Church.I am a chritian too.

He left me because he thinks it is impossible for us to get together.we are in different countries,I am in China now.No money no visa.

I have been praying for our relationship,because I believe with God nothing is impossible.when we were together,we often shared Bible and our faith.It was good to meet a person who loved me,respected me and we had lots of in common.

But now he fell in love with another chinese girl who is in local.But she is not a chritian.They alreayd have very close relationship now before marriage.

when he told me this,my heart is so hurt.every day and night,I cry and pray to God.
I wish to pray for his return.but on the other hand,I am afraid it is the will of God.

so should I pray for his return and his faith or just let him go forever?
I am very sad he cannot wait for God and me with patient.

Thank you for your answer and help here.

God bless you all my brothers or sisters in Christ.

Comments

• Are we allowed to quote each other on this site?

if you believe in God, then believe in His will... if you loved God because of God's being, not because of a person, then you will trust in His will and Plan... you can sit and talk and cry to God... He listens, believe me I know... I don't want to analyse everything you said just yet, because I can see you are in so much pain... but in due time we can approach every point you stated... but for now, go cry and beg for God's mercy... and you will see how much God helps!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka! -SuperMan(BAM)

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=9796.msg120014#msg120014
  • Thank you so much,I still remember these words
    I will obey the will of God
    I just don't understand whether it is the will of God.
    if it was,I would not pray for his return any more,just let him go,give him the bes wishes.
    Every day he is still in my prayer.I just don't understand why I wish he walks in the right way of God,he will stay away further and further.

I will not guess any more,it is so hard and tired.
    But I do love him,still wish to get married with him.But if God didn't want us to get together.I have to move on alone.I just wish both of us will not miss the blessing from God.

so hard,what should I do?
  • My wife and I were apart more than we were together. Actually for about 2 years or so and I am probably the most impatient person in all the world. Let things happen as they happen.
  • I am no position to give advice really. But I will humbly offer the little that came to my mind when I read your post.

First off, I really feel your pain. Loving someone and not feeling the same love back hurts deeply. But in my opinion it is time to let go. Maybe God put him in your life for the sole purpose of becoming Christian and reading the bible and becoming strong in your faith. He might have put him in your life to save you. But, sometimes God takes away people we love because they are a crutch in our Spiritual lives. We depend on them too much. We feel we are close to God with them only. But God wants us individually to love Him and to love Him alone.

But again I remind you, I am no position to give you advice about your life. Pray to the Master of the world. Christ loves you and will do whatever is best for your salvation. Even if that is telling you to forget about someone you loved.

God bless you Selinda.
  • Thank you so much for your words,it is really helpful.

I appreciate everyone of you spent time on helping me here.

when I was so weak and wanted to give up my faith,God touched my heart with scripture.Now I knew how to do and what to do.

don't guess or don't try to think what I should do,only focuse on God in whatever condition.if he wanted this man to be with me,he would.if he sent another man to me,my life also would be full of happiness and peace.

God is so merciful,I know he never leave me.

here,I also want to say thanks to Father Peter and his prayer for me.

God bless you all
  • Hi Selinda,

It sounds like you're in a really tough place right now, I'm sure that prayer will give you a lot of comfort.

There is one thing worse than the situation you're in now, I fell in love with a woman at my work but I loved her and she didn't love me.  It was terrible because I saw her everyday knowing that which made me jealous; it made her stay away from me which made me even more jealous! :(

I was so sad all the time and I hated coming to work, she on the same desk as me; it was like torture and I couldn't avoid it.  I was happy when she left some months ago, it made things much better and over time I came to forget.

Time passed and I got the news that she was going to come back!  :o

They placed her in the same place in her old desk - close to me again!  I was scarred at first but over time it turned out to be okay.  A lot of time had passed - we can hardly be called friends now - but I'm okay with it.  I still get a little jealous because I find her very attractive and that will never change but I feel okay now because I don't need to be close to her anymore.

It must be frustrating being very far away and not able to do anything but you need to look past this.  God plans things for us which we don't understand because He knows whats best for us.  In the Bible the story of Joseph in Genesis is very beautiful because he was sold as a slave by his brothers who thought he was dead and God protected him and he went from being a slave to the most powerful man in Egypt! God did this because He had a plan for Joseph and He has one for you too.  You're doing the right thing by asking us this question and what God wants will become clear to you in time - you must keep praying and try to accept what God gives you if you like it or not.  Joseph was given something very hard from God but in the end he became like Pharaoh so we must learn to be patient and accept what God wants.

God bless you,

LiD
  • LiD, that's a very beautiful post, thanks for sharing with us.
    selina, if this guy is with someone who is not a Christian, he is not right for you. maybe his lack of faith would affect you too.
    seriously God loves you more than any man ever could.
    keep praying, reading the Bible and going to church. go to an orthodox church if you can (great teaching) but if not, keep going to church and ask God to lead you into all truth.
    you are doing the right thing by letting him go. if God wanted you to be together again, he would make it very clear.
    dry your eyes, take care of yourself (eat well, take a little care with your appearance, i mean don't look sad and unclean), and remember you are a very special person who Jesus died for.
    as everyone said, God has a plan for your life. all the hard times will make you stronger and you will be close to Him and then later you can help other people who also have problems in their relationships.
    may God bless you
    mabsoota (this means 'happy'!)  :)
  • Lid,thank you so much for your wonderful sharing!
    I can image how hard to you in that condition.every day you have to face this problem alone.it is not easy to make yourself calm down.

I am far from my boyfriend,but every day I still will remember him,whatever I do,I still remember what we did together.every words from him.the worst is that I will image what he does with his new girlfriend,and now his cold attitude to me.I just cannot believe that on my birthday he asked me to marry him,after five months,he is with another girl now.this feeling and jealousy,I cannot handle.each time,when I am so painful,I have to ask God to strength me.I admit that I am so helpless and weak,I need God to comfort me.if this girl was the best to him,I would obey God's will and leave all the consequence to God.

yes,joseph's story is my favourite in Bible.each time when I think of it,which really comfort me and encourage me.I believe that all the things work together for good to those who love God.......

I wish after storms,I can see the rainbows.
  • mabsoota
    Thank you for your words!I appreciate your help very much!
    I can see that I lost my boyfriend and his love,and now I have more time to get close to God,seek his will and read his words of Bible.

I will try to be strong.May God strength me in the hard time.

Thanks again!

God bless you all

• [quote author=selinda_liang link=topic=10011.msg122546#msg122546 date=1290402844]
    Lid,thank you so much for your wonderful sharing!
    I can image how hard to you in that condition.every day you have to face this problem alone.it is not easy to make yourself calm down.

I am far from my boyfriend,but every day I still will remember him,whatever I do,I still remember what we did together.every words from him.the worst is that I will image what he does with his new girlfriend,and now his cold attitude to me.I just cannot believe that on my birthday he asked me to marry him,after five months,he is with another girl now.this feeling and jealousy,I cannot handle.each time,when I am so painful,I have to ask God to strength me.I admit that I am so helpless and weak,I need God to comfort me.if this girl was the best to him,I would obey God's will and leave all the consequence to God.

yes,joseph's story is my favourite in Bible.each time when I think of it,which really comfort me and encourage me.I believe that all the things work together for good to those who love God.......

I wish after storms,I can see the rainbows.

And I bet You will!

I understand that it must be really painful now but it will get better.  One of the pieces of advice which most confession fathers give out is that we ought to be careful about who we consider as a partner because our feelings are really important and its easy to be hurt.  This doesn't mean that we should hide in a cave but as you would know right now its very easy to become attached to someone and becoming unattached is very painful.

I lived my experience out at work and I'm glad that few people have to go through what I went through - the best thing is to remember that every aspect of our lives requires sanctification - its the reason that God became man, so that He could bless every part of our lives.  The way that Orthodox Christians do this is in the sacraments like Eucharist and Confession. 

I would love to tell you to take these but they're only for people who are initiated in the Orthodox faith so I guess right now you should pray and read the Bible for comfort.

God bless you,

LiD
  • Thanks,LID
    when I read all of your words,I feel so warm in my heart.Because I know that I am not alone,some persons whom I have never met care about me too.

I will keep praying and keep faith.I know it is not easy for me to forget the pain but I wish God can strength me,give me the power to obey his will and surrender the circumstance from God not matter how bard or how good.

Thanks again,God bless you!