Order of the General Funeral
Rites of the General Funeral
The priest prays the Litany of the Sick:
- The reading of "The Purpose of the General Funeral Prayer on This Day" (Found in the Khidmat el Shamas (pg. 274))
- The priest prays the Prayer of Thanksgiving:
- Our Father who art in heaven ...
- "Khen Pikhrestos ..."
- Prayer of Thanksgiving
- The Verses of the Cymbals:
- Neknai o panouti ...
- Hiteni Epresveia ...
- Ethren hos erok .. je avashk aksoti...
- Psalm 50 (51):
- Have mercy upon me O God ...
- "Zoxa see o Theos emmon."
The Prophesy according to Ezekiel the Prophet (Ezek. 37:1-14)
The Pauline Epistle (1 Cor. 15:1-27).
- Kata eho-o nem kata egorh alleluia.
- Zoxa Patri ...
- (Another view of the rites is to recite Psalms parts here)
The Trisagion (in the known Etribi tune with chanting ".. O estavrotees di-mas ... " 3 times.
The Litany of the Gospel is read (After the distribution of the Holy Mysteries, the priest comes out and does so)
The Coptic Psalm (Ps. 65:4) (Chanted in the Etribi/ Paschal tune)
The Paschal Gospel Intro (Ke Eperto... - O-anghno...)
The Holy Gospel is read in the Paschal tune in Coptic then English/Arabic. (Jn. 5:19-29)
The priest prays the Three Great Litanies (the Peace, the Fathers, and the Congregation)
The Creed (We look for the resurrection ... (in the tune of Gholghotha))
The priest prays the Litany of the Departed
The Lord´s Prayer
The priest says the three Absolutions
The priest raises the cross and chants "Efnouti nai nan ..." in the Paschal tune
The congregation responds Kerie Leison (12 times in the Paschal tune)
Amen Alleluia .. Fee-etaf-ashf epistavros ...
- Ten-oo-osht .. je afashk ...
- Ethve ti-anastasis ... (The Coptic Pauline Epistle)
- Response to the Pauline Epistle in the annual tune: "Pi-ehmot ghar ..."
- The Pauline Epistle is read in English/Arabic
The priest says the benediction, sprinkles the water on the congregation, and dismisses them in peace.