Could I be "called" to be a bartender?

First, I'm not a prohibitionist and I don't intend to disparage anyone employed in that industry. I always tip my bartender, even when it's unnecessary. 

I'm not trained in bartending, although I have picked up a couple of nice combos, here and there. ;)

I could make a name for myself by serving water to visibly intoxicated guests. As if to say, "we don't want you to leave, but ..."

I love beer. There, I've said it. I think beer is fantastic. I think hot chocolate with vodka is fantastic. I like to drink.

On a slow day, I could lend a sympathetic ear.

This all fits into my "alcohol as a weapon" motif, neatly.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Meh.
  • I'm also a fan of beer. I like tasting new kinds of beers. A huge fan of trappist beer myself. A friend of mine took me out once to taste some trappist beer, and I've been a huge fan ever since :) I also have (rather jokingly) thought about becoming a bartender. Seems like bartenders are always the wisest! People come in with the weight of the world on their shoulders and bartenders seem to have this really easygoing way of making things better. 

You should differentiate from a calling and a hobby. Beer seems to be a hobby of yours. Something which you find pleasure in tasting (hopefully not to drunkenness). That is fine and it is part of what makes you, you. For example, someone could be interested in collecting comic books. But that isn't necessarily a part of the calling. 

What I do see as a possible part of your calling (not that I'm discerning for you, just offering a different opinion) is helping people by hearing their problems and cheering them up. This seems to be a good balance of understanding why you want to be a bartender and using that desire to serve God and man. So be that friend that doesn't meddle in people's lives (bartenders keep 3 feet of bar between them and their customer) and who isn't judgemental (bartenders don't judge their customers) and who can just be there for people. Either in silence or in the few bartender words. 

Try that on for size :)

Ray
  • The other occupation I feel drawn to is Jailer. But who wants to be a Jailer? Yeah?
  • edited November 2014
    Alright. I had to google "define algorithm" (bc I don't know what it means) and this is what showed up:

"a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer"

What's are you referring to as an algorithm?
  • edited November 2014
    I think he is referring to his callings as an algorithm. If not this occupation, then next in line would be that other occupation. That's an algorithm.
  • I'm also a fan of beer. I like tasting new kinds of beers. A huge fan of trappist beer myself. A friend of mine took me out once to taste some trappist beer, and I've been a huge fan ever since :) I also have (rather jokingly) thought about becoming a bartender. Seems like bartenders are always the wisest! People come in with the weight of the world on their shoulders and bartenders seem to have this really easygoing way of making things better. 

You should differentiate from a calling and a hobby. Beer seems to be a hobby of yours. Something which you find pleasure in tasting (hopefully not to drunkenness). That is fine and it is part of what makes you, you. For example, someone could be interested in collecting comic books. But that isn't necessarily a part of the calling. 

What I do see as a possible part of your calling (not that I'm discerning for you, just offering a different opinion) is helping people by hearing their problems and cheering them up. This seems to be a good balance of understanding why you want to be a bartender and using that desire to serve God and man. So be that friend that doesn't meddle in people's lives (bartenders keep 3 feet of bar between them and their customer) and who isn't judgemental (bartenders don't judge their customers) and who can just be there for people. Either in silence or in the few bartender words. 

Try that on for size :)

Ray
    :)
  • edited November 2014
    Ray,

Of course I would by neccessity(*) be utterly senseless.

"The spiritual man judges all things."

Because even ants excersise judgement. 

[ant]This is food. This is not food.[/ant]

Nancy Botwin.
  • Ray, do you have a tradition of hospitality at your current "abode"?

lol I couldn't help but think of the altar of our Lord.