Bread of Angels

edited June 2014 in Coptic Orthodox Church
If the poison of pride is swelling up in you, turn to the Eucharist; and that Bread, Which is your God humbling and disguising Himself, will teach you humility.

If the fever of selfish greed rages in you, feed on this Bread; and you will learn generosity.

If the cold wind of coveting withers you, hasten to the Bread of Angels; and charity will come to blossom in your heart.

If you feel the itch of intemperance, nourish yourself with the Flesh and Blood of Christ, Who practiced heroic self-control during His earthly life; and you will become temperate.

If you are lazy and sluggish about spiritual things, strengthen yourself with this heavenly Food; and you will grow fervent.

Lastly, if you feel scorched by the fever of impurity, go to the banquet of the Angels; and the spotless Flesh of Christ will make you pure and chaste.

+ St. Cyril of Alexandria

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Notice how these are all in spirituality considered the "deadly sins". What's missing is wrath (although I suppose intemperance can cover both wrath and gluttony) and vainglory though :)
  • Wow that's a very good point! I didn't notice that they corresponded to the 7 vices.
  • Where is this from anyway?
  • I've no idea :S I just saw it on Fr Aidan's FB page and was like wowzer!

• Since my Facebook is disconnected, I was wondering if perhaps you might be able to send a message under that quote and ask Fr. Aidan where the quote is from.  I love the quote, but I now have this itching habit that I must know where exactly it's from before I personally would share the quote with others (nothing against you, just my recent pet peeve when doing Patristic research on topics).  I can't find it in his blog outside Facebook:

• edited June 2014
    When all else fails I always attribute quotes to popular books. Like this quote is most definately from "Purpose Driven Church" by St Cyril of Alexandria :p

Other favorites are:
    "The glory of God is a man fully alive."+ St Irenaeus of Lyons, On the Origin of Species

"For He was made man that we might be made God." + St Athanasius the Great, Hunger Games
  • edited June 2014
    But Mina you're bringing up a good point.... This quote attributed to St Cyril is all over the web but not one quotes the reference :s I wonder if its actually something St John Chrysostom or St Cyril of Jerusalem might have said and it's been misattributed. Sorry for the confusion everyone...will try to dig around...

Lesson of the day: Make sure quotes are referenced properly ;p
  • edited June 2014
    Post updated:

If the poison of pride is swelling up in you, turn to the Eucharist; and that Bread, Which is your God humbling and disguising Himself, will teach you humility. If the fever of selfish greed rages in you, feed on this Bread; and you will learn generosity. If the cold wind of coveting withers you, hasten to the Bread of Angels; and charity will come to blossom in your heart. If you feel the itch of intemperance, nourish yourself with the Flesh and Blood of Christ, Who practiced heroic self-control during His earthly life; and you will become temperate. If you are lazy and sluggish about spiritual things, strengthen yourself with this heavenly Food; and you will grow fervent. Lastly, if you feel scorched by the fever of impurity, go to the banquet of the Angels; and the spotless Flesh of Christ will make you pure and chaste. + (???) (Attributed to St. Cyril of Alexandria by Internetz)

:p