Removing the love of a sin from the heart.

I read in one of Pope Shenouda's books that to get rid of a sin you need to remove its love from your heart. So how does one do this?

God Bless

Comments

• For example, by associating the sin with something that you do not like. To remove the element of enjoyment that attracts you to sin.
  • by making God real. our problem is we don't make God personal... make God real in your life... make Him your friend, did He not ask you to be His friend?! "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." So if God Himself wants you to be His friend, why do you ignore it?! now how do we become God's friends? the answer is in the verse before this, "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you."

now let me ask you a question, lets say you have a friend, we'll call her Marina, you love Marina, and you want to always better your friendship with her. what are ways to better your friendship? 1. you have to talk to her, you have to pour out yourself to her. 2. you have to listen to her, and see what she likes and what she dislikes. 3. actually do what she like (as long as it is right). 4. don't do what she dislikes. now why are doing what she likes and not doing what she dislikes? its because you love her to the point that you will do anything for her, and not only that but if you liked to do something that she dislikes, you will start not doing it for her sake, until you grow up and know she was right to tell you don't do it.

this is the same with God, we have to listen and not do what He dislikes, even though we enjoy it, and sometimes it doesn't even make sense why we should not do it... but our obedience to God's will will make us hate what He hates.

for example, lets go back to the example of Marina, lets say Marina hates clubbing, but you love clubbing, and you and Marina are always together, where you go she goes... will you go clubbing?! of course not, not for your sake but for the sake of you love to her, after this you will research the negatives of clubbing, and see eye to eye with your beloved friend and hate the sin, or the action they hate.

• Thanks mnc_hnn and BAM a lot, it really helped.

God Bless