Music that touch your heart

2»

Comments

• No Servos, you question is a very good question.

Because the Coptic language and culture has been subsumed by the Arabic culture, except in the religious domain, it ceased to exist hundreds of years ago. Some cultures deal with a foreign sovereignty with resistance and keep a "pure" form of their identity. This is what happened to the Jewish culture. When Israel ceased to exist as a country, they fought to become a recognized country independent of foreign powers in the Middle East. Other cultures find a mix between old and new cultures. A good example is what you described about Serbian musical history (Old Serbian chant mixed with Western elements to simplify chanting). Other cultures completely identify with the new power as long as they find something substantial to differentiate them from the new culture. This is the case of the Copts. We never saw ourselves as a country within a country (like Israel). As long as we preserve religion untouched and uncorrupted, we had no problem adopting the Arabic culture, which includes music, language, food, mannerisms, politics, geography, etc.

Because we preserved our religious music and language from Westernism (even though we did a bad job resisting Arabism in our religion), we have no problem accepting and internalizing non-religious cultural elements (to a certain point). That is why you will not find a modern non-religious Coptic song, band or literary work. You may find some ancient Coptic non-literary works (like legal documents, treaties, dictionaries from Dioscorus of Aphrodito in the 5th century) but nothing modern.

I hoped this helped.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13977.msg162102#msg162102 date=1355925061]
    That is why you will not find a modern non-religious Coptic song, band or literary work.

Thanks a lot.

Just one thing to clear, when you said there is no modern Coptic song, do you mean there  is no modern non-religious Coptic song performed by Copts in Arabic language ?

I know that Coptic language is not any more in use by Copts, and that there is no non-religious Coptic song performed by Copts in Coptic language. That is clear.

But, did you mean that there is no XX century literary works or songs in Arabic from Copts ?
  • Yes. I don't think there are any non-religious songs or works from Copts in Arabic in any significant amount. There may be one or two people who dabble in new productions but this is the exception and nothing is published (as far as I know). Original Arabic non-religious works are not done by Copts. I hope someone else can corroborate or give us evidence otherwise. I could be wrong.
  • Exceptions that proves the rule  :)
  • [quote author=Servos link=topic=13977.msg162107#msg162107 date=1355933031]
    http://copticrock.blogspot.com/

This... uhh... almost funny lol I do not know what to think of this...
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13977.msg162111#msg162111 date=1355946859]
    [quote author=Servos link=topic=13977.msg162107#msg162107 date=1355933031]
    http://copticrock.blogspot.com/

:o

they do funny things with the music!
    sounds dodgy.
    just my biased, unspiritual personal opinion...

if u want nice songs with a good drum beat u should write new ones, not do terrible sounding things to some old ones!
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13977.msg162111#msg162111 date=1355946859]

I liked them, especially Coptic Soldier.

But I'm admirer of everything Coptic, so maybe I'm biased too  :)

Mnc_hnn, tell us your opinion  :)
  • I couldn't open the links because i don't have flash player

But just wanted to share this

• [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=13977.msg162219#msg162219 date=1356500888]
    But just wanted to share this

Excellent!
    What is the song about? Religious motive?
  • It's an Arabic hymn