29th of Coptic Month

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello everyone,

I was wondering when the next time was to celebrate the three feasts on the 29th of each coptic month because I remember there were some months we don't celebrate them in.

Comments

• [quote author=kmeka001 link=topic=13349.msg156172#msg156172 date=1338307637]
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering when the next time was to celebrate the three feasts on the 29th of each coptic month because I remember there were some months we don't celebrate them in.

After Pentecost.
  • I was taught that the 29th is not celebrated in Toba and Amshir (and Nase of course). I forget the reasons though. I'll have to check up on this.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13349.msg156222#msg156222 date=1338400257]
    I was taught that the 29th is not celebrated in Toba and Amshir (and Nase of course). I forget the reasons though. I'll have to check up on this.

It is (I believe) because of Lent. The reason that people came up with is that they symbolize the law and the prophets. I will try to get a source to qualify.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13349.msg156222#msg156222 date=1338400257]
    I was taught that the 29th is not celebrated in Toba and Amshir (and Nase of course). I forget the reasons though. I'll have to check up on this.

Because we cannot say aktonk during those days
  • Speaking of this rite, anyone know the text for the mo7ayar?
  • There isn't one....
  • I was always taught that we don't celebrate them because Toba and Amshir were the 2 months where the Virgin Mary was not pregnant with the Lord Christ. Is this just an interpretation?
  • There are actually more months than Tobe and Meshir where we don't celebrate the 29th of the Coptic (celebrating the 3 feasts).

It's easier to see when we celebrate it than when we don't: between the first 29th of the Coptic month after the Pentecost and the last 29th of the Coptic month before Kiahk which is the month of Hathor.

We celebrate the 29th of the Coptic month (with the 3 feasts in 1) only when these 3 individual feasts (Nativity, Annunciation and Resurrection) have past and there's no major feasts in between (ie: the Holy 50 days).