I AM EGYPT: A COPTIC VOICE

edited December 1969 in Prayer Requests
Hey everyone,
For those of you who live in CA, you all know that the Coptic Orthodox Christian Club at the University of California, Irvine is hosting an event "I AM EGYPT: A COPTIC VOICE."  Perhaps others outside of CA know of this week-long event as well.  Please pray for our club and this event as we are expecting attacks (mostly verbal) from MSU (Muslim Student Union)...our greatest fear is that this week's events will culminate in a fight...this has happened previously and we do not want that to happen again.  Please keep us in your prayers all week and pray that God may give us the wisdom and strength to answer attacks in a Christian manner.

Thank you.

Comments

• I did not know that, but I am far away from Irvine. I will pray for everyone at the event, Coptic and others. May our Lord Jesus Christ keep you all safe.
  • May God take care of you all. Amen

Just out of curiosity. What have they been doing that is bad?
  • I used to go to UCI; I have never felt tension between Copts and Muslims, but rather between Muslims and Jews. Maybe because Copts never had any public events when I was there. Please update us about what is going on. Christ be with you all.
  • Thank you dzheremi.  Wish you could've joined us!

geomike, thank you.  Can you clarify your question please?  Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

Unworthy1, this is the first public event we have had this academic year.  The alumni who are helping us with this event said that the last event they had was several years back and MSU was saying antagonizing things and it ended in a fight and that's why there hasn't been an event in a while.  However, both the Jews and MSU have been having lots of events and there is definitely a lot of tension, it's almost tangible.

Today was the first day of the event.  It went through smoothly, except for a few rude presbyterians who were just arguing with us for the sake of arguing.  Please continue praying for this.

If anyone can make it...here's our schedule:

Table, outdoor stage, student center every day 11-3pm
    Monday (passed) 12-1 History of the Copts Lecture
    Tuesday 12-1 Persecutions Part 1
    Wednesday 12-1 Persecutions Part 2
    Thursday 12-1 Revolution and Our Hopes For the Future
    Friday 6:30-10pm MAIN EVENT
    -Art exhibit
    -Music
    -Poem
    -Egyptian Food
    -Possible documentary
  • may God bless u, keep up the good work.
    remember our enemy hates this kind of thing.
    don't make his day by arguing among yourselves or getting depressed when things don't go to plan.
    just a tip  :)
  • Even though i am WAYYY over in MA i will surely keep everyone in my prayer all you can do is to pray that this will be peaceful public event and that no violence will escelate from anything :)
    +May God Bless you and keep you all safe while you do this+
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=11449.msg138080#msg138080 date=1305616273]
    Thank you dzheremi.  Wish you could've joined us!

geomike, thank you.  Can you clarify your question please?  Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

Unworthy1, this is the first public event we have had this academic year.  The alumni who are helping us with this event said that the last event they had was several years back and MSU was saying antagonizing things and it ended in a fight and that's why there hasn't been an event in a while.  However, both the Jews and MSU have been having lots of events and there is definitely a lot of tension, it's almost tangible.

Today was the first day of the event.  It went through smoothly, except for a few rude presbyterians who were just arguing with us for the sake of arguing.  Please continue praying for this.

If anyone can make it...here's our schedule:

Table, outdoor stage, student center every day 11-3pm
    Monday (passed) 12-1 History of the Copts Lecture
    Tuesday 12-1 Persecutions Part 1
    Wednesday 12-1 Persecutions Part 2
    Thursday 12-1 Revolution and Our Hopes For the Future
    Friday 6:30-10pm MAIN EVENT
    -Art exhibit
    -Music
    -Poem
    -Egyptian Food
    -Possible documentary

Sorry for not being clear, i was just wondering what kind of things MSU has been doing to bother you (or your club).
  • Thanks for your prayers guys.  Everything has been ok so far.  Pray that it continues that way.

geomike,
    I don't know what happened exactly last time but it seems that they were making provocative comments and it ended in a fight.  This time, they have been more subtle.  Our posters have been taken down repeatedly throughout this week.  We keep putting them back up and they keep taking them down.  We think it's MSU because who else would take down our posters?

Please keep praying for this event.
  • That's just frustrating. We r praying for u guys don't give up this is what happens when they know they can't prove their ridiculous religion so they act in immature ways
  • Hey everyone,
    Thank God.  Our event was very successful :) thanks for your prayers everyone!  Some of the MSU members did give us a hard time throughout the week but on the last night of the event, I think we got our message across in a very nice way and we had a few speakers including Bishop Serapion and Fr. Tadros Malaty.  Very nice night overall.

Please keep the Coptic Club at UCI and other Coptic Clubs across the U.S. in your prayers.