Anok ba bekouja

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Dear all,
Would like to ask for some credible opinion on that. Now we have several recordings here on tasbeha.org, and they are all more or less conflicting in some melismata. The more confusing thing is that there are two under HICS, and they do not go in the same tune. Please I would like to know why exactly that is, and if anybody can shed some light into the history of those recordings.
[coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]

Comments

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=9046.msg112655#msg112655 date=1270037092]
    Dear all,
    Would like to ask for some credible opinion on that. Now we have several recordings here on tasbeha.org, and they are all more or less conflicting in some melismata. The more confusing thing is that there are two under HICS, and they do not go in the same tune. Please I would like to know why exactly that is, and if anybody can shed some light into the history of those recordings.

the old chorus of HICS learned bright saturday rite from mTawfik. But didn't really record it at that time. Then Fr. Mettias came and that's when they recorded it. the first recording, that you'll find when you buy the official cds of the chorus, is what Fr. Mettias probably taught them or changed to at his time.....i say probably because i am not really sure of this but i think he lead the whole recoding that right and you can definitely see that from all the recordings of him there.
    for the other recording, it is a rare track trully, we received from Wagdi Bishara and it's a recording of a live rehearsal of the psalm with the old main chorus....and i think M.Tawfik was there, but i am not sure...i havn't heard it for a while. but anyways, you'll find that this recording, or the tarkeep of the psalm words (which is really the major difference here) is closest to the recordings of mtawfik.
  • So, hymn number 1 is the one that cantor Fahim taught HICS, and the one sounding slightly live, as kindly provided by cantor Wagdi (although in all honesty I thought that was cantor Farag teaching them the Arabic tune-fitting).
    OK, hymn number 2 is that one that Fr. Matthias taught, and cantor Ibrahim sang it the same.
    Now, what confuses me is that cantor Mikhail's recording is a mixture of the two, but closer to number 1 than 2. Much closer in fact. Still confused; why, and when did these changes take place?
  • yes you are still confused because you just confused me.

the first recording: Alleulia - Psalm 151 is the official recording of HICS Holy week set that was done when abouna Mettias was with them. I am concluding this based on the fact that he says many of the recordings.

The second recording: 01.Anok Pe Pi kogy is a recording that we received from Wagdi. It was a live class that they had.

The main differnces in both are the parts with texts and not all long hazzat parts (for the most part atleast). I know this because i learend the hymn from the HICS recording ( the first recording). We think that m Tawfik taught or better to say influenced the 2nd recording.

I didn't really include anything about M Fahim because i don't know anything about his connection to them in this specific rite.
  • Thanks Mina for clarifying. I have to concede then that not all the hymns are rendered through teachings of cantor Mikhail, as previously claimed then. It seems that there are lots of discrepancies between renderings here and there, and efforts of unifying them have not succeeded completely.
    What really astonishes and does astound me is that there are hymns only sung more or less on one occasion a year, and there is little if any amount of discrepancies in all their recordings. Take for example [coptic]pipneuma `mparaklyton> ouran `nsousou> eulogimenoc> [/coptic]sad [coptic]taisouri> ]souri> [/coptic]and some of the praises expositions (haven't delved so much into that honestly, but at least I am guessing). So that is it then. Thanks anyway Mina...
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=9046.msg112753#msg112753 date=1270196766]
    Thanks Mina for clarifying. I have to concede then that not all the hymns are rendered through teachings of cantor Mikhail, as previously claimed then. It seems that there are lots of discrepancies between renderings here and there, and efforts of unifying them have not succeeded completely.
    What really astonishes and does astound me is that there are hymns only sung more or less on one occasion a year, and there is little if any amount of discrepancies in all their recordings. Take for example [coptic]pipneuma `mparaklyton> ouran `nsousou> eulogimenoc> [/coptic]sad [coptic]taisouri> ]souri> [/coptic]and some of the praises expositions (haven't delved so much into that honestly, but at least I am guessing). So that is it then. Thanks anyway Mina...

who said they are.....people think that greatest accomplishment of Dr. Raghep is that he reocrd "all the hymns of the church." I say his greatest accomplishment was creating HICS to be what they are...moreover, what they WERE; Chorus like no other in the past or the future of our Church.

Those who claim that M.Mikhael recorded everything dig holes for themselves to fall in.