communion

edited September 2010 in Introductions
Can someone explain to me why it is important to be in church before the last gospel is read if you are going to receive communion and also what dose the church say about young and old men who have their hair in braids that are long?

Comments

• [quote author=Agape47 link=topic=9792.msg119995#msg119995 date=1285800798]
    Can someone explain to me why it is important to be in church before the last gospel is read if you are going to receive communion

actually......for anyone to take communion or even to be part of the liturgy in general (for clergy or people) you must be there before the Absolution of the Ministers (Servants) because it is the last audible and general absolution that the priest prays during the liturgy.
    I hope that is clear enough.

Now for the saying that you have to come before the Gospel is read, that is something new to make life easier. Also this developed from the old tradition of actually shutting the doors of the Church after the gospel is read. So you could not physically go into church if you came after the gospel.
    Many also say that Christ is incarnated in His Word (the Gospel) and in the end of liturgy He is incarnated in Body and Blood.
  • put simply, caribbean hair is fine, caribbean timing may need improving!
    ;)
    egyptians are just as bad at timing, but you should arrive before the gospel in order to take Holy Communion. that is so people don't get into bad habits of not really repenting and not listening to and reading the Bible. ideally you should be there from the beginning, but many people have to travel a long time to come to church, or have young children who find it hard to stay so long, that is why people are allowed to come 'late', in other words after the other Bible readings.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9792.msg120007#msg120007 date=1285815465]
    put simply, caribbean hair is fine, caribbean timing may need improving!
    ;)
    egyptians are just as bad at timing, but you should arrive before the gospel in order to take Holy Communion. that is so people don't get into bad habits of not really repenting and not listening to and reading the Bible. ideally you should be there from the beginning, but many people have to travel a long time to come to church, or have young children who find it hard to stay so long, that is why people are allowed to come 'late', in other words after the other Bible readings.

nonononooo........don't tell me they are "allowed" to come late............mine as well coming during confession and tell me i spend 3 hours in traffic....what must be done is always there and we know it. twisting the truth to fit what we need will not solve anything.............i always say: "Why in the world do WE think that we are smarter than GOd HIMSELF and we can fool Him by twisting HIS OWN rules"?!!
  • Can someone explain to me why it is important to be in church before the last gospel is read if you are going to receive communion

the church wants you to learn, thats why she will tell us to at least listen to the gospel, even though, we should listen to all the readings and teachings to understand why the fathers chose this reading for that day, but the church is being lenient with us, to actually help us partake in communion!

also what dose the church say about young and old men who have their hair in braids that are long

?

you know, I'm actually contemplating, and in the process of growing my hair... not too long, just until it gets shoulder length... but I will be doing it for my reasons... so I thought would that ban me or stop me from going to church? so here is a verse!

"Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?  Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?  But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering.  But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God."

so the bible is telling us, its up to what your church decides, but it is NOT a rule or a custom or a necessity... but is preferred that man should cut his hair!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka!
  • Abouna Anthony talks about the importance of coming before the gospel in part 1 of:
    http://old.orthodoxsermons.org/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=68&Itemid=26