Nativity of St. John the Baptist tomorrow: Ouran Enshosho???

pp
edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Should we chant [coptic]Ouran `nsousou[/coptic] tomorrow even though it's the Nativity of  St. John the Baptist?

Comments

• [quote author=aem581 link=topic=9427.msg116240#msg116240 date=1278438685]
    Should we chant [coptic]Ouran `nsousou[/coptic] tomorrow even though it's the Nativity of  St. John the Baptist?

you can if you want. i don't see any problem with that. same as to singing [coptic]Ontwc[/coptic] in any apostle feasts rather then fast of the apostles only.
  • In the Service Book of the Deacon, it is specific to be inclusive of 'Oran'.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9427.msg116248#msg116248 date=1278452375]
    In the Service Book of the Deacon, it is specific to be inclusive of 'Oran'.

i don't follow?
  • The Deacon's Service Book (Khidmit El-Shammas) has it as being inclusive to be used for the Feasts relating to St. John the Baptist.  I was adding to your comment with a reference to the okay.
  • Hi,
    About the Nativity of St. John, the Baptist...there isn't a glorification text (madiha) in English for this occasion?!

Thanks

shady
  • ilovesaintmark, is their an online version of The Deacon Service Book, or where did u get it, and is it in arabic or english? This is a great resource.
  • I utilize the Arabic version.  I have several editions in sequence that were given to me by my uncle.

I believe it has been translated, but I do not know the detail of the reference notes and instruction.  I have only flipped through the english text very briefly.  I generally do not like English in the Liturgy, but I tolerate it for the sake of my younger brethren.

I would bet that Minagir has a link for you.  He has quite a set of smarts on the issue, and he probably would be able to help you.  Send him a PM, he has been a good guy and resource for these things.  He has been quite helpful relative to requests made of him.
  • There is no FULL Deacon's Service book in english. Even in coptic and arabic. the first book that mixed nahdet el-kanayes khidmit shamas and m-Farag khidmit shamas (the 2 most famous and used khidmit shamas book) with some other old sources is Albair's Khidmit shamas book.

In english, there is the Southern diocese book that was just printed and announced about.....but i dono if anyone received it yet. we have been waiting for that books for many many years (literally over 8-10 years). if you are an english speaker, that is your best deacon's service book to get....even though i myself will always go back to the source books in arabic and coptic.....but that is JUST ME  :) :) :)