Holy Light

I was wondering if anyone knew why only the Greek Patriarch is allowed to enter the sanctuary and receive the Holy Light on Bright Saturday?

Is this a ritualistic thing or is it b/c the tomb falls under the GOC's domain?

Comments

• The very fact that only a Greek priest receives the Holy fire is gives reason to suspcion on one hand,but that this 'miracle' is going on for centuries and no one was able to prove it as fake is another thing that is inexplainable. There is definately something to it. 
  • I know its sort of a catch22.  i remember reading somewhere, that at one point one of the muslim rulers of jerusalem, demanded to enter with the patriarch to witness the miracle firsthand. 

Idon't get why they don't allow someone to accompany the greek patriarch to receive it?
  • There is an Armenian Monk that enters with the Greek Orthodox Patriarch.  They are the only two in the tomb.
    The Greeks have been trying to eliminate the monk's presence for the RITE.
  • Christos anesti, just finished watching it live.
  • do u have a link u can post for us to see it online?
    about to go to church soon  :) very excited!
    alithos anesti
    :D
  • I remember reading somewhere, maybe an e-mail, or a book,that the first person to witness the holy light was St. Peter the apostle, who later founded the Greek Church, like St. Mark founded the Coptic Church. I believe god did not want to break the routine that the successors of St. Peter are the only ones to distribute the holy light/fire, thats what I think, but I might be wrong

Anyway,
    Ekhrestos Anesty !  :D
  • interestingly enough, i found this on wikipedia

"
    One Armenian torch-bearer, Soukias Tchilingirian, claims: "It's not a miracle. The Greek priests bring in a lamp - one that has been kept burning for 1,500 years - to produce the Holy Fire. For pilgrims full of faith who come from abroad, it is a fire from Heaven, a true miracle. But not for us. Of course the source of the fire is ancient and symbolic. I heard this from my father and I think he knew the truth." holyfire.org claims this comes from Alan Philps. Mystery of Jerusalem's Holy Fire comes to light // Telegraph, London, UK - April 16, 2001[6]"
  • hey, brother, wikipedia?! u know in most countries we are not allowed to quote this in college research!
    try a better source...
    ;)
  • I have a question when you go to see the "Holy fire" (inside the church near the sepulchure) are you supposed to sign up? Thanks and God bless everyone. Please pray for me.
  • remember reading somewhere, maybe an e-mail, or a book,that the first person to witness the holy light was St. Peter the apostle, who later founded the Greek Church, like St. Mark founded the Coptic Church. I believe god did not want to break the routine that the successors of St. Peter are the only ones to distribute the holy light/fire, thats what I think, but I might be wrong

St. Peter is noted to be the founder of the Church of Antioch.  He is the first in the successioin of the Patriarchs of Antioch.

The Roman Catholic Church falsely puts him as the first of the Popes of Rome.

He is not a founder of the Greek/Byzantine Church.  I believe is noted for this honor.  He founded the Church of Ephesus which was later elevated as the Patriarchal level jurisdiction of Constantinople.  Which is the Mother Jurisdiction for the Byzantine Churches.